Ground Trades Xchange - a landscaping forum

Go Back   Ground Trades Xchange - a landscaping forum > Landscape Services > Starting a Landscaping Business
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2005, 05:51 PM
Acorn

USDA
Petrocks is an unknown quantity at this point
Rock Selling

I have recently heard of individuals selling rocks off of their property on Ebay. I have had little success finding any informa-tion about this and would love to get an insider view. How much are rocks worth, what kind of rocks are being sold, and what sizes?

I live in Upstate New York in the country and I am overloaded with rocks of all sizes, including huge boulders to numerous stone walls that I would not mind selling. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time.
Old 05-20-2005, 05:58 PM
Administrator

USDA Zone 4
Stonehenge will become famous soon enough
I haven't heard of selling rocks on eBay, but I don't doubt it happens. I saw a guy that sold an air guitar. No kidding. Got $10 for it.

As for selling rocks from your property - you might want to find a local landscaping association and send them a letter, that you're willing to sell. Used to be that farmers would let you have all the rocks you wanted for free, so long as you come and get them. Now they want some $$ for them. Around here (Wisconsin), depending on what size the stones are, they can go for anywhere from $40-80 per ton. Trouble is, you likely don't have a scale, so you may have to sell them by "the bucket" (tractor bucket).

If they are stones that are several tons each, you may be able to get more for them, but not much. Those who are buying will either have to bring their own equipment to get them, or you'll have to arrange for delivery. If you can get your hands on a beater dump truck and tractor, and you have a lot of stone to sell, this might work out for you.

Anyone else with more experience on the topic please chime in. I haven't purchased from a farmer in a long time; they want as much as an established business for boulders, and I can't see paying that when I have to do so much leg work.

How would you like some free trade magazines?

Landscaping Appleton, Neenah and Wisconsin's Fox Valley

The Dirt - my blog about running a landscaping business.
Old 05-20-2005, 06:48 PM
Gold Oak Member

USDA Zone 6
GLAN will become famous soon enough
down here stone sells for $0.6 - $0.35 a lb.

The highest price would be for Lava Rock
Old 05-20-2005, 07:58 PM

USDA Zone 6
agla is a jewel in the rough agla is a jewel in the rough agla is a jewel in the rough agla is a jewel in the rough
The price of rocks is usually determined by how far they have to travel. The cost is in the shipping.

Cape Cod Landscape Architect
Old 05-20-2005, 08:54 PM
Gold Oak Member

USDA
scott C is an unknown quantity at this point
where in ny r u. i know of some people that may be interested. a few of the local farmers i know sold there stone walls to a co in jersey. they came in trucked them away and cleaned up there mess.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:58 PM
Acorn

USDA
stone-guy is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm in Pa, and believe it or not there is a lot of stone selling going on, they will come in with a truck load of pallets, a couple of skid steer's, a hand full of laborers, and a flat bed and go to town. I don't have a paper right know, but give me a day or so, and i will post the numbers for you, They are not really paying much, compared to what they are selling for! I have seen many locals palleting it up on their own, and simply throwing a for sale sign on it, you'ld be surprised how quick they go. I, like most company's around here have it pretty good, I just go to my back yard, and harvest the riches, i have a pretty good vein of blue stone running thew my property, this saves about $185/pallet, well for me anyway, the customer still winds up paying, but at a discounted rate.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:48 PM
Gold Oak Member

USDA
Bill Schwab is an unknown quantity at this point
In our area, where the environmentalist life forms have all but banned mining, we pay anywhere from $14.00 a ton for blue granite 1/4 ton shot rock to $1500.00 a ton for 3 rivers flagstone.

Selling off a proerty? People do that with palms trees, but rocks? I guess anything is possible.

Encinitas, Ca. 92024

www.naturescapelandscape.com

Old 07-08-2005, 12:41 AM
Seedling

USDA
Bamboo is an unknown quantity at this point
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Stonehenge
[B]I haven't heard of selling rocks on eBay, but I don't doubt it happens. I saw a guy that sold an air guitar. No kidding. Got $10 for it.
Was that the air guitar used at the 1964 concert of the rolling stones? with the cirtificate of authenticity?