Ground Trades Xchange - a landscaping forum

Go Back   Ground Trades Xchange - a landscaping forum > Business > Starting a Landscaping Business
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2004, 05:46 PM
Sapling

USDA
Tim is an unknown quantity at this point
JW,
more bling is by far better. Here is my 2 cents after having bought many lasers. At all costs, get a self leveling model, or suffer! The bubble mounts leave way too much on the table due to human error. They have cost my company a fortune in the past. Do not skimp on the tripods either!

Topcon and Eagl are both excellent lines, and get my nod. I have had several David Whites. I will take a pass on owning another. They eat batteries like no tomorrow, and they are not dependable in my book.

Guys using string levels... I wish you the best, but I am afraid that you are running down mediocre street. Upgrading will save you time, and increase your productivity quotients.

Better tools will usually render better results. Nay sayers may disagree, but anything can be made not to work given awkward, or extreme circumstances.

If you have a model T in the garage, and a brand new truck on the drive, which one do you think you should drive everyday. The same old way, gets you the same old profit margins. I opt to improve the bottom line even if I have to make a payment to do it. Tim (I reread this and I think, "Did I get off on a rant?")
Old 02-11-2004, 06:25 PM
Gold Oak Member

USDA Zone 7
chesie is an unknown quantity at this point
Here's where we got our laser from if anyone is interested.

www.keypre.com
Old 02-15-2004, 02:36 AM
5 Gallon Tree

USDA
Will Pacala is an unknown quantity at this point
Are Keson lasers any good. I was checking out differnet lasers and found that name. Anyone use them??
Old 05-29-2004, 08:05 AM
Acorn

USDA Zone 5
MWM is an unknown quantity at this point
We use one of these and it works pretty good.
http://www.ziplevel.com
We typically do smaller projects that many of you however.
Old 05-29-2004, 09:23 PM
Gold Oak Member

USDA Zone 5
VoodooChile will become famous soon enough VoodooChile will become famous soon enough
Quote:
The one thing I will never allow anyone in our family or company to do is become dependant on electronic gizmos, because they all eventually fail, need work, etc etc...By knowing how to do the basics you can go forward with your work while the machines are being repaired without loosing too much focus by attempting to fix them yourself
True in lasers, true in life.

Bravo Bill!
Old 05-29-2004, 10:04 PM
GTX Advisor

USDA Zone 5
Paul is on a distinguished road
Some times you just need the Gizmos to do the work......... Lots of jobs we have done need grade lasers in order to get the job. Sport fields now have to be machine lazer graded in our area.
Old 05-31-2004, 10:55 AM
Gold Oak Member

USDA
Bill Schwab is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree with Paul in tis day and age, and we are going to have to get a lazer here pretty soon. What is sad is what is lost by using the machines. Computers and calculators make our brains lazy. I use a slide rule and am teaching our daughters how it works. Calculators make us dependant, and we use them to check math problems after we do them manually.

We have a changing marketplace, and needs along with that. I guess much of me comes from the old school...If a person cannot perform the functions they need to perform manually, using trigenometry to calculate earth masses, I see no way they could even comprehend how using tech items would work. But, I would also imagine they might tell me the same.

Encinitas, Ca. 92024

www.naturescapelandscape.com

Old 05-31-2004, 11:17 AM
Whip

USDA Zone 11
Rex Mann is on a distinguished road
We use string lines for small jobs. And, we use a laser for the bigger jobs. Most entry level lasers are + or - 1/4 inch over 100 feet. What do you think a sting and a line level are over 100 feet?

A laser will speed up your initial layout.

I take one with me on all appointments. Beats the eyeballing and the guessing game of how much we need to cut. Or how many steps we may need to build and charge for.

Saturday I went to an appointment. 2000 sf plus of pavers. Owner said it was already cut out. I busted out the laser and we have to cut out 35 yards of soil! It enabled me to give a much more accurate proposal for the homeowner and for our company. Also, clients are always amazed I take the time to get the correct measurements and final elevations.

I would equate getting a laser with a mobile phone. After you have it you'll wonder how you ever managed without it.

Peace,

Rex

Pavers Installed Company

http://PaversInstalled.Com

Follow us on Twitter @PaversInstalled

You might like the following content from the Ground Trades Xchange, served by Google: