Ground Trades Xchange - a landscaping forum

Go Back   Ground Trades Xchange - a landscaping forum > Landscape Services > Softscaping | Landscaping
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2006, 12:06 PM
Acorn

USDA
H-hour is an unknown quantity at this point
Methods of preventing straw from blowing, or alts.

We are running into more and more commercial bids that are requiring a method of preventing the straw from blowing off the property. Since we do strictly commercial landscape projects, the bidding is real competitive, hence we need an economical method of keeping our seed mulched.

I have never seen a hydro-seeder in action, so I'm not sure how effective or cost efficient they are.

I have also heard of using tackifiers being used. Again, not sure of the method to spread it or cost.

The 3rd method I have heard of using is crimping the straw into the ground with a disk. I have seen these before, but it seems to only crimp the straw into the ground every 7 or so inches, and in-between there the blown on straw just blows away in the wind eventually.

Netting is out of question obviously due to cost.

What would be the most cost efficient way of making sure the mulch stays on the ground and doesn't blow away? If you have alternatives to what I listed, go ahead and mention them.
Old 03-20-2006, 02:04 PM
GTX Advisor

USDA Zone 4
Nebraska is on a distinguished road
There are tackifiers out there specifically for hydroseeding. I have used a guar gum tackifier on landscape mulch and a soil slope with success
Old 03-20-2006, 02:18 PM
GTX Advisor

USDA Zone 5
Paul is on a distinguished road
First question is what type of equipment are you using to spread your straw? Larger straw blowers have attachments to allow a tack to be shot the same time as you blow straw. Smaller equipment you'll have to use a hydro seeder to shoot the tack on after you straw mulch, this can be a small 100 gallon jet plastic unit. 40 lbs of tack can cover one acre mixed in three or four batches with a small tank.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:13 PM
Acorn

USDA
jackt is an unknown quantity at this point
My company purchased a hydro-seeder last year. It is the best investment we have made so far. No straw to deal with and the grass comes up quicker. It has been very proffitable as well.