Ground Trades Xchange - a landscaping forum

Go Back   Ground Trades Xchange - a landscaping forum > Business > Personnel Management
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2016, 12:16 PM
Administrator

USDA Zone 4
Stonehenge will become famous soon enough
Hiring Women As Laborers

I apologize in advance if there are millennial men reading this, but I'm fed up with millennial men. The ones I encounter when trying to hire are soft, entitled and lazy. They need constant validation.

I've hired a few women, and in general they are on time, mindful, conscientious, good on the details....I just wish they had about 20 more pounds of muscle on 'em (and didn't need to drive somewhere to go to the bathroom ).

I'm at a place where I'm thinking I need to figure out how to cater to this particular demographic when hiring new employees, because other than physical strength, as a group they're a much more desirable employee.

Has anyone hired mainly a female work force for construction/hardscape work? If so, what kinds of changes did you need to make to how you ran things?
Old 10-14-2017, 07:28 AM
Acorn

USDA Zone 9
EarthwiseScott is on a distinguished road
staff

Stonehenge, new to the site and came across this thread. Odd that no one has commented. It's a good question. I run design/install only. I've employed men and women. In all honesty, my take is to not even consider this as a factor. It's been my experience that people from both categories can be either good or bad employees. I've endeavored to see people as people, nothing more. I have a strong presence on site and lead by example. I also establish up front at hiring that nonsense like inappropriate comments won't be tolerated.

As far as the bathroom goes, its a standing rule that staff is required to drive out to the nearest place to go. Since I work only existing residential, I'll never allow anyone to relieve themselves on site. I mean think about it, some guy is in the backyard and someone peers out the window and sees it. It wouldn't reflect positively on my company.
Old 01-03-2018, 04:46 AM
Acorn

USDA Zone 6
MissHeatherLee is on a distinguished road
I know quite a few green industry employers who prefer to hire women. Good for you. Hey have you heard of Greenius training? I'm going to see a demo next week, but formal video training is the answer for the employee problems in the industry. Best to you, and good fortune and health.

You might like the following content from the Ground Trades Xchange, served by Google: