Ground Trades Xchange - a landscaping forum

Go Back   Ground Trades Xchange - a landscaping forum > Landscape Services > Lawn & Landscape Maintenance
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2011, 05:50 PM
Acorn

USDA Zone 6
Woodwaps is on a distinguished road
Rose of Sharon Help

I have 2 Rose of Sharons in my yard, the branches of one are bent over almost like the buds are too heavy for the branches to support. I'm not sure how to prune it, and I don't want to hurt the tree itself. Any help on how to prune it, or how to get the branches to straighten out would be much appreciated. Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place too, I am new at this.
Attached Thumbnails
Rose of Sharon Help-img_20110319_115115.jpg   Rose of Sharon Help-img_20110319_115123.jpg  
Old 03-20-2011, 07:07 PM
Gold Oak Member

USDA Zone 6
brooks will become famous soon enough brooks will become famous soon enough
Rose of Sharon is super easy to trim- just take some hedge shears while it's dormant (not growing leaves) and trim away. It will grow new branches from the buds closest to the cut end. It is, however, quite a large shrub, which people don't tend to realize, so you'll need to keep trimming it to maintain a certain size.

Your shrub isn't bending from the weight of it's flower bud (speaking of which, what you see there are actually seed pods from last year), it's leaning towards the light and away from the shadow of your house. So, you'll need to either move it and plant it somewhere sunnier after you prune it, or it's just going to continue reaching.

Try searching for "How to prune a Rose Of Sharon" on the web and you'll find plenty of indepth answers.

www.arcadiagardensllc.com
Old 03-20-2011, 07:39 PM
Acorn

USDA Zone 6
Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post. Is would now be considered a good time to prune it? There are no leaves yet, but I don't want to prune any buds that might have set already. I inherited this landscaping when I bought the house and I really get nervous about screwing it up as the person who owned it before me took really good care of everything.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:59 PM
Gold Oak Member

USDA Zone 6
Yup, prune it now

BTW- don't let the plants intimidate you. It's actually kind of hard to kill a healthy plant just by pruning it at the wrong time of year. The worst you can do is get a funny looking plant that won't bloom this year. You can figure out how to prune any of them by either googling the directions or getting a good handbook.

Comments on this post
Woodwaps agrees:

Old 03-20-2011, 08:09 PM
B&B Tree

USDA Zone 7
NCSULandscaper will become famous soon enough
did you have heavy snow this year? Thats common to snow weight laying some branches over. They will straighten themselves but you would be safe pruning down to where the bends start all the way across
NC Registered Landscape Contractor #1862
NC Certified Plant Professional
NC Licensed Pesticide Applicator
Old 03-20-2011, 10:33 PM
Seedling

USDA Zone 6
Greatscapes_CC will become famous soon enough
I agree with Matt. Because it appears that the newest shoots are in-line with the bent wood, the bending is probably mechanical (snow) rather than a tropism.

Good news is hibiscus blooms on new wood so a heavy pruning now will not reduce flowering later in the summer. In zone 6 they can look almost dead until late May so don't get nervous if no buds show until then.

Comments on this post
Woodwaps agrees:
Old 03-21-2011, 09:06 AM
Gold Oak Member

USDA Zone 6
I didn't think of the snow load- forgot to check your zone.

I've never had snow accumulate on my rose of sharon though, and I get heavy lake effect here...

Old 03-21-2011, 12:19 PM
Acorn

USDA Zone 6
I don't think it is from the snow, they started to bend over last year in the spring/early summer when they started to grow leaves and bloom. I would be more apt to think they are growing towards the sun, but there is another rose of sharon maybe 5 feet away on the same side of the house that is growing straight.