Ground Trades Xchange - a landscaping forum

Go Back   Ground Trades Xchange - a landscaping forum > Landscape Services > Landscaping Tools
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2006, 05:55 PM
Whip

USDA Zone 8
trees is on a distinguished road
Cut off saws

I'm looking into buying a decent cut off saw. Tired of renting and think we'd have enough use to justify the purchase.

Something less than $1000, preferably around $800 would be great, but I'd be willing to go a little higher if need be.

Suggestions?
Old 10-12-2006, 07:16 PM
Gold Oak Member

USDA
PSUscaper is on a distinguished road
partner or stihl. Either the ts400 or 650/750. I'd use either, but if one dealer is local and the other isn't, I'd stick with the one you can get service for. Go for the 14" model over the 12" as it is only a few extra dollars and you can run a 12" blade in the 14", but not the other way. And don't get power hungry and talked into a bigger model. There is really no need for a bigger hand held unless you plan on putting it on a cart and doing long deep cuts.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:35 PM
5 Gallon Tree

USDA Zone 7
TrickyDick is an unknown quantity at this point
We got a Husquevarna 14" this spring. I've been really happy with it. Especially like the water hose attachment so you can wet cut with it. Over $1000 though.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:30 PM
Acorn

USDA Zone 5
ScenicAcres is an unknown quantity at this point
just bought a partner 950 16", very nice saw. I had to replace my stihl witch gave me nothing but problems. The 16" is nice for cutting 6" wall stone, one cut and your done. I guess we will saw how the partner holds up.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:31 PM
Gold Oak Member

USDA Zone 5
VoodooChile will become famous soon enough VoodooChile will become famous soon enough
Stihl TS400 has served us well for cutting wall/flag type lannon stone. The wet cut option works great for eliminating the dust.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:35 PM

USDA Zone 5
dan deutekom will become famous soon enough
I have used many different makes of saws and you can't go wrong with any of these 3.

1: Stihl ts400 reliable and well balanced but vibrates more than most

2: Partner 650/750 has the best sight lines to your cut and is a smooth runner but seems a little more finicky when starting and idling

3: Makita 7301 (also sold by other companies in different colours) powerful, relatively smooth running, and easy starting. but I find it kind of bulky even though well balanced. I also find that it is very easy to occidentally hit the kill switch when picking it up between cuts I also find that this has the quietest engine of the three

Go for the 14" versions
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Beer in one hand - Nacho's in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming : Woo Hoo, what a ride!

Old 10-13-2006, 06:23 AM
Gold Oak Member

USDA
cutntrim is an unknown quantity at this point
My experience has been with the Stihl and the Partner. Both 12" and 14" of either. 9 out of 10 Stihls that I've rented have had issues, usually with starting. The Partners have started better, run smoother, and seem to me to be better balanced.

I'll be buying a saw for next season as I now rent enough to justify purchasing. I'll be looking at either the Partner, or a Shindaiwa. The Shin is more heavier and more expensive, but all of my hand-held maintenance equipment is Shindaiwa and the quality is among the best available.

I would agree with the others regarding size...go with 14".
Old 10-13-2006, 02:06 PM
Administrator

USDA Zone 4
Stonehenge will become famous soon enough
Well, I wasn't going to say anything - but I do have a kind of hobby/experimentation site that covers this very topic: www.paver-saws.com

And I concur w/ just about everything Dan said.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:15 PM

USDA Zone 5
Jeff
I like the saw site and your reviews are spot on.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Beer in one hand - Nacho's in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming : Woo Hoo, what a ride!

Old 10-13-2006, 08:50 PM
Gold Oak Member

USDA Zone 7
Matt Kulp is on a distinguished road
Great site Jeff! You should create a similar site for Compactors.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:01 PM
Administrator

USDA Zone 4
Thanks.

Maybe I will.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:36 PM
5 Gallon Tree

USDA Zone 7
Greensmith is on a distinguished road
Why not just one site that has honest to god reviews and not just ad's like Pro magazine.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:09 AM
Administrator

USDA Zone 4
Hmm... The reviews I have of those saws is pretty honest, and I don't have a lot of control over the ads that appear on that site, so that's not a motivator to alter any reviews.

But it was intended as a hobby and experimental site, and it fits those bills nicely. That's why even though the site is 2 years old or so, this is the first time I've ever mentioned it.
Old 10-14-2006, 05:50 PM
5 Gallon Tree

USDA Zone 7
Greensmith is on a distinguished road
I feel like I should clarify that. I meant reviewing equipment and not just listing stats like an ad in Pro Magazine would read. Sorry, I wouldn't be that blunt!
Old 10-14-2006, 10:16 PM

USDA Zone 5
I have to say that Partner gives good service. My brother gave my son an old Partner saw to help get him started in the business. Saw is about 6 years old and runs great until it gets warm and then it dies with no spark. Told my son that it is most likely the coil. Well my son took it into the dealer to get it fixed and it was done no charge. No proof of purchase or anything else needed. Apparently the coil has a lifetime warranty. Can't get much better than that.

You might like the following content from the Ground Trades Xchange, served by Google: