Ground Trades Xchange - a landscaping forum

Go Back   Ground Trades Xchange - a landscaping forum > Landscape Services > Landscaping Tools
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2005, 01:01 PM
Gold Oak Member

USDA Zone 5
johnkeegan will become famous soon enough
wet saws

For years I've used an MK 101 wet saw for cutting pavers. The unit has performed well, but it only has a 1.5 H.P. motor. I see that they have models with up to a 3.0 H.P. motor. I'm figuring bigger is better (and quicker). Is there a noticeable difference? Any feedback is appreciated.
Old 10-29-2005, 02:00 PM
Gold Oak Member

USDA
Bill Schwab is an unknown quantity at this point
John:

When you enter into a 3HP motor, the amp draw upon start up is 15-18. Most breaker panels have 15-20 amp circuts and if they are on any type of GFI, they will be running a 15amp preload. So, you are going tobe spending alot of time flipping breakers unless you run a temp breaker for the job duration.
We don't run electric saws, except for tile cutting, for that very reason. Sure, we can wire the panel with our own circut, but, then you have to yank off the cover, find a lug, and expose the load center. It does not go well with homeowners sometimes, and with the entire world passing blame upon anything they can grasp to divert liability, it is not a good way to run.

All our saws are gas powered, and in all honesty, every MK saw I have seen has the same mounting panel for an electric motor as they do for gas. So, you could theoretically get yourself a 4HP Honda, even though I prefer a 6.5 plus (our 20" saws run 23HP engines) and get the correct pulley for the diameter blade you run, (maybe the electric motor pulley would work if it was the same shaft size) and then you just need to make sure the 3600 RPM the engine will turn is what yor electric motor is turning so you don't overspeed the blades.

Cost of this project, assuming all will fit, and if you buy a new engine and pulley will hit $500.00, more than a 3HP electric motor, and more messing around, but you will be amazed at the difference, and, you won't have to worry about tapping into the load center with a bigger breaker and temporary current.

just a thought. I really like the lighter weight of the electric saws, but I've never seen one with enough punch to do what we need without a little electrical rewire on site.

Encinitas, Ca. 92024

www.naturescapelandscape.com

Old 10-29-2005, 02:21 PM
Administrator

USDA Zone 4
Stonehenge will become famous soon enough
Bill's on the mark there. Many, many moons ago I rented an electric saw (twice). The first time we didn't realize we'd be tripping breakers all day, and the homeowner wasn't home - so ten minutes into cutting we tripped a breaker and there we sat, nothing to do. So I had to run out and rent a generator, too.

Second time I was smart enough to rent the generator at the start.

After that project, I was smart enough to leave generator and electric behind and go gas. I like it because you don't have to rely on a power source, it's more powerful, so you can cut much more quickly.

But if you're considering saw options and want something lightweight, consider getting a cutoff saw like a Partner or Stihl. We do 98% of all our brick, block and stone cutting with those little powerhouses, and save the tub saws for the real detail work. It'll be half the cost of a tub saw and more portable.

But of you really like the tub saw and cash is an issue, work on Bill's idea - he's built just about everything that can be built.

This discussion has been included in the site beginner's brick paving page.

Last edited by Stonehenge; 02-24-2006 at 10:51 AM..
Old 11-24-2005, 03:35 PM
Wise Old Oak

USDA Zone 8
Fine Edge is just really nice Fine Edge is just really nice Fine Edge is just really nice Fine Edge is just really nice Fine Edge is just really nice
I bought a Felker 3 HP wet saw at an auction about 7 years ago for, believe4 it or not, $225. The blade I had to buy cost more than the saw.
But, many of the houses we work on don't have big enough breakers. Now we just load up our generator on the same trailer and don't have a problem.
Never had a problem with it and we have a good system for installing patios with it, makes excellent cuts.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:37 PM
Gold Oak Member

USDA Zone 5
synner is an unknown quantity at this point
Bill, we have an old stone saw, I think its a Target that I'm currently debating switching to gas power for exactly the reasons discussed, 3HP electric is tripping too many breakers.

The Honda engine is easy, my question is what do you do for a coolant/water pump. I was thinking of modding an old Drill Pump with a pulley and running it off the motor belt.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:41 PM
Gold Oak Member

USDA
Bill Schwab is an unknown quantity at this point
That's an easy one. You simply install a line system with aball valve like on ahand cut off saw. Screw the hose on and you are off. Total cost of $50.00 rather than getting dinged for a $400.00 pump and belt system.

Encinitas, Ca. 92024

www.naturescapelandscape.com

Old 01-15-2006, 11:18 PM
Gold Oak Member

USDA Zone 5
synner is an unknown quantity at this point
I found the centrifugal pump on the MK website this evening, I figured it would be big $$$$.

You might like the following content from the Ground Trades Xchange, served by Google: