Ground Trades Xchange - a landscaping forum

Go Back   Ground Trades Xchange - a landscaping forum > Landscape Services > Landscaping Tools and Equipment
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2010, 12:02 AM
Seedling

USDA Zone 7
RockinWalls is on a distinguished road
McLaren PROTRAC MAGNUM tire over tracks-any one?

Looking to pick up a set of these tracks. I've spent a lot of time looking at all my options.

Rubber Tracks
Steel Tracks
Rubber steel tracks
Track machine upgrade. (to big- to heavy)

Bottom line my New Holland LX 665 works just great for me! Except for all the rain last year.

So I would really like to know if any one else is using these on there wheel machine?

Feed back-
Spacers?
Any Issues with tires with rim guards?
Larger bucket?

Certified Level 1 Dry Stone Mason, DSC-Dry Stone Conservancy USA & Level 2 DSWA-British Dry Stone Walling Association, ICPI

443-291-9388
www.Rockinwalls.com
Old 01-20-2010, 09:50 AM
Gold Oak Member

USDA Zone 5
johnkeegan will become famous soon enough
I've used the rubber-over-steel tracks on a Bobcat S250. They make a world of differerence in the mud, where a normal skidsteer is useless. The rubber pads are pretty much wore off now and I don't know if I want to pay the $ to replaces them. Besides I'd probably have to cut the studs off with a torch they're so peened over. But since that machine rarely leaves the yard (I have an A300 that gets the majority of on-site use) or is used on only muddy jobs...the metal track is probably fine.

I will say, though, that if I had to do it over again, I would have just gotten a true track machine instead of the track-over-wheels set up.
I have an ASV RC30 machine that is a beast (albeit tiny) that will go anywhere and still not damage the turf. Due to the machines ability to not loose traction, the break out torque is crazy. I use it frequently like a powered pry bar to pop out shrubs and trees and boulders. Due to it's small size (about 3K#), though, it can't lift alot like the larger machines.

But I can only imagine what a larger track machine would accomplish
Old 01-22-2010, 04:57 PM
Seedling

USDA Zone 7
Timber Lane is an unknown quantity at this point
McLaren Tracks

I have owned my McLarens since 2007. My biggest problem in the beginning was getting flat tires, since we were working in areas with lots of metal, glass, debris, etc. It's a real pain getting a flat when the tracks are on. My solution was to have the tires filled with poly to make them solid.

My 2005 New Holland LS170 has much, much better traction in mud and loose soil than with tires only. The drawback with the tracks is driving on asphalt roads, which tears up the rubber tracks.

McLaren does give you spacers for your tires and they allow just enough room to clear the housing and fenders. They also don't hinder my oversized bucket. And I could still get my skid steer on my trailer with one inch to spare on each side at the wheel wells.

Having solid tires and the tracks added 1,500 pounds to my machine, all close to the ground, giving me more stability than previously.

The only drawback to the McLaren tracks is getting them on. It's difficult, because the tool they give you to draw the track ends together wasn't properly designed. I've talked to them about it and they say they'll get their engineers to re-design. But they haven't. It takes three guys to get the tracks on - one at each end pulling the tracks together and one to slip in the bolt.

The bottom line is that I would purchase the McLarens again. They've made my New Holland much more of a mini-bulldozer.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:20 PM
Gold Oak Member

USDA Zone 5
site is on a distinguished road
I have steel tracks that I use occasionally. If I had the money I'd buy a tracked machine. I made some money last year, but I'm not buying anything for a while. The steel tracks come in handy occasionally, but we only use them a few days a year. There is a trick to putting them on- we pull them together with big rachet straps. You'll need two- one from each direction.