Ground Trades Xchange - a landscaping forum

Go Back   Ground Trades Xchange - a landscaping forum > Landscape Services > Landscaping Tools and Equipment
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2006, 10:56 PM
Gold Oak Member

USDA
cutntrim is an unknown quantity at this point
dump trailer battery

It can't be normal for my dump trailer battery to die after lifting the box 3-5 times can it? It's been crap in that regard since day one. I can buy a new battery, but I may run into the same problem. As it is I have to take my booster pack around with me every time I go to dump.

I wonder if there's an easy way to keep the battery charged between uses? My lawnmower mechanic suggested a solar panel charger attached to the lid of the trailer's tool box to charge the battery. Any other suggestions?
Old 07-19-2006, 11:22 PM
B&B Tree

USDA Zone 7
NCSULandscaper will become famous soon enough
when the plug is attached to the truck, thats suppose to charge your battery. If ure using a round 7 prong connector, there should be a space for auxillary power.
NC Registered Landscape Contractor #1862
NC Certified Plant Professional
NC Licensed Pesticide Applicator
Old 07-20-2006, 06:17 AM
Sapling

USDA
familyguy is an unknown quantity at this point
same thing happened to me. they said a new battery only carries enough power to start whatever it is you are using until it can charge itself to full capacity. however, a dump trailer only draws and doesn't recharge (as far as I understood the sales guy) so you have to get the battery deep charged at the auto store or leave it on a charger in your 110 outlet for a while. worked for me. i thought i bought a dud battery.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:36 AM
Whip

USDA
Mark Oomkes is an unknown quantity at this point
You're going to need to trickle charge it like familyguy said. For a long time, at least overnight. Assuming it's a deep cycle battery. They just will not fully charge through a truck battery\charging sytem once run down.

If that doesn't work, get a new one. Batteries can go bad if they go completely dead too often.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:46 AM
Gold Oak Member

USDA Zone 5
VoodooChile will become famous soon enough VoodooChile will become famous soon enough
I learned the hard way to buy a 2nd battery for a back-up should the first fail when lifting a heavy load. Shoveling off four yards of wet spoils is no fun. The 2nd fits right in the box with the primary, the pump, and lift control on my Maxi-Dump.

It also helps to leave the truck running will tipping.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:54 AM
Whip

USDA
Should've mentioned something we did on a couple of our trucks. We have very heavy cable\wire running to the backs for the back plows which we made up a connector for the trailer so we can connect into that and still run the pump even if the trailer battery is dead. I'm talking about welding cable type thick.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:54 PM
Gold Oak Member

USDA
Thanks for the replies guys. Should have mentioned that I've had this trailer (and battery) for almost three years now. I routinely take the battery out of the box and charge it overnight, and I usually have my booster pack with me to augment it when dumping. All of that works (when I remember to do it), but what I'm searching for is a way to avoid having to go through all that trouble. Running a wire back from my truck battery might be an option, but I'm not always using the same truck with that trailer. That's why I was thinking about some way to tie the dump battery into the trailer wiring/7-way connector so that it could draw amperage that way. Anyone ever done anything like that?

I can tell you that when the lease is up on my Dodge 2500QC next year, I'm likely gonna go C&C and put a dump box on a new one. It drives me nuts when I'm at the supply yard/dump site screwing around with booster packs/cables or even hand shoveling 'cause the box will only lift half way up...only to have another landscaper come in and empty his dump truck in about 30 seconds!
Old 07-20-2006, 05:50 PM
Gold Oak Member

USDA
PSUscaper is on a distinguished road
It sounds to me like the truck isn't charging the battery at all.

I had a dump trailer for close to 5 years......the only time I had a problem was after about 3 years when the batter went bad and I had to get a new one, or the terminals would get corroded/loose and need to be replaced.......when fixed it worked fine, dumping all day long.

Are you sure the truck power harness has a power lead??? The trailer should charge while hooked to the truck, and keep itself replenished. It sounds like a wiring problem or a bad battery, which after 3 years sounds right.

Also, know with mine, the battery box wasn't great, and the battery would bounce around a bit, especially being a trailer. That tends to shorten the life.

I would check all your wires too. I kind of forgot this one. At the battery terminal, at the pump, at all the leads from the battery to the pump (ground and hot) the connections would go bad. The terminals would melt after about a year, and I would replace them and have a spare on hand all the time. Make sure they are very tight, as the draw is very high for the hoist and they will heat up fast.

And by the way, keep that trailer if you can. I have a dump now and I still wish I had the dump trailer. It is just too handy and I can't count the number of times I wish I had it still.

I would check all your leads and make sure they are tight and corrosion free. This may be part of the problem as to why the battery is discharging so fast and not letting the truck keep up with it.

Last edited by PSUscaper; 07-20-2006 at 05:53 PM..
Old 07-20-2006, 07:39 PM
Gold Oak Member

USDA
Thanks Penn. I don't plan on getting rid of the trailer, but I do plan on a C&C truck with dump box next time around. Then I'll have dump capability with both crews.

The battery does not charge from the truck at all. It's not connected to the truck in any way, or through the trailer wiring harness. It's set up directly for lifting the hoist and that's it. I called my auto mechanic today and discussed it with him, and he thought my best option (considering I switch back-and-forth between trucks when using the trailer) is to just keep using the booster pack. It does work...but it means having to carry it with me from truck-to-truck. He questioned whether the alternator in my truck would be able to handle the added draw from the dump even if it were feasible to connect the two.

Regardless of whether the truck is on or off, hooked or unhooked, the dump battery performance doesn't change because it's not connected to the truck in any way. I could go out and spend $150 on a new battery, but that's probably not worth it since not being connected to anything it'll just drain down same as the old one just maybe not after only 2-3 cycles.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:23 PM
B&B Tree

USDA
Dale Wiley is an unknown quantity at this point
It really would not matter if it was connected to the truck battery... since the draw down on the dump trailer batteries is very fast and depends on the amperage required to lift the loads.

Most vehicle alternators only put out about 14 volts at normal operationg capacity and that keeps its own battery charged.

We get 4 full weight lifts out of ours. We put it on a charger all night long.

But we have been hauling a lot, we use that trailer EVERY day, and we are installing a drainage system on a soccer field and have to move the spoils about 1/8th mile, so I bought a 1500 watt generator at Schucks Auto for $ 199.00 and mounted it on top of the battery box, with a charger inside the box hooked up. Works great and we never have to worry about the battery running down.

We have been moving about 10 loads a day on this project and not worrying about the battery is great.

Western Sports Turf
Landscape Specialty Services
Wetland Restoration Nursery

Forest Grove, OR
503-357-7202 - Phone
503-359-9294 - Fax

Semper Fi

You know that on Judgement Day, all the gold and silver is gonna melt away ...

Old 07-20-2006, 10:59 PM
Gold Oak Member

USDA
So, on a dump box (C&C truck) can the hoist go all day long no problem because it's piggybacked to the truck's power source? Or do those of you with dump trucks have to charge up all the time too because of the weight lifted/draw required?
Old 07-20-2006, 11:30 PM
Gold Oak Member

USDA Zone 9
Turtle is an unknown quantity at this point
I dont own a dump trailer but been thinking of purchasing one. We have a small dump truck that the hoist is electric and it never draws down the truck batteries if that answers your question cut. it will run all day and havent had any problems with dead batteries

With these trailers would it be possible to run a large cable off your auxilary solenoid directly to the 7 pole and run the trailer that way.
Kind of how the dump bodies operate
Old 07-21-2006, 06:32 AM
Gold Oak Member

USDA
Not sure, but that's the type thing I'm trying to find out. Unfortunately as I said before, I'd have (2) trucks I'd have to do that to...and they're both leased.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:44 AM
Whip

USDA
There are a couple things here that are of concern and I don't know the particulars of them, because I am not a mechanic.

First, I'd be a little concerned about your mechanic. These are the same trucks that you plow with correct? Well, I can't be positive, but the only difference on my dump trailer and some plow pumps we used to have is the size of the resevoir (sp?). Even if it isn't the same type pump, the draw is going to be very similar. The only difference is the length of the draw because it takes longer to dump the trailer than lift a plow. So yes, your alternator can handle it, it will actually handle it better than the plow, because you are only doing it 3-4 times a day instead of 3-4 times a minute.

Second, the wire running through the plug is enough to charge the battery, if it hasn't discharged too much. Just like plowing if you run the batteries down too far, it takes awhile for the alternator to catch up. The wire running through the plug is not heavy enouhg to operate the dump if the battery is low. Eventually you will burn up the wire and\or pump. This is why we use the heavy cable to plug into the dump trailer.

I would look into having these type cables run on the truck you are keeping. Over the long run it will be well worth your money. Or start charging the battery every night or every other night as needed.

On the dump truck, it is run off the truck's electrical system, just like your plows. Be careful when you have them build the truck, many builders install the pump and solenoid under the dump box directly behind the cab. This is fine until the solenoid burns out or sticks on and you have no way of getting to it easily to shut the power off and replace it. If you blow a line it isn't very easy to refill the resevoir either.

I don't know if you need a salt spreader, but I would highly recommend a central hydraulics if you do and\or are planning on keeping your dump a long time. It will be well worth the money. It can run everything you need from dump to plow to spreader and if you plumbed it in you could use it to dump your trailer.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:08 AM
Gold Oak Member

USDA
PSUscaper is on a distinguished road
I'm with Mark on this....

If you have to have a generator to use your trailer, then it is just broke.

I would dump 20+ loads a day and never touch the trailer battery. I have no idea what kind of silly set up a dump trailer that needs to be charged every time would be.

No doubt in my mine there is something wrong with the wiring, or flat out, the trailer is designed wrong.

Mine was EZ Dumper.....maybe look at one of them and see what they did, because the thought of charging the battery is just redciulous.