Ground Trades Xchange - a landscaping forum

Go Back   Ground Trades Xchange - a landscaping forum > Landscape Services > Landscaping Tools and Equipment
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2006, 08:07 PM
Gold Oak Network Member

USDA Zone 6
HRLand is on a distinguished road
Cat engines

I don't have any experience with cat engines so can anyone (Bill) tell me how many miles can be expected from a 3126? I'm looking at a used truck that is in very good condition but the mileage is up there. I had an IH s1800 with 360k on a dt466 that's still running strong for the guy I sold it too. Are cat's as long lasting, or better?
Old 01-12-2006, 08:41 PM
Sapling

USDA
start2finish is an unknown quantity at this point
this may be hearsay but i have heard bad things about the 3208. 100,000 mile engine. As for the others no bad rumors.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:58 PM
Gold Oak Member

USDA Zone 7
chesie is an unknown quantity at this point
I have talked to several guys that have this engine and they say it is underpowered. It kills me to say so being that I am a Cat fanatic.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:20 PM
Gold Oak Member

USDA
Bill Schwab is an unknown quantity at this point
HR:

What is it the engine is in? The 3126 is 200HP???? The predicesor to the C7, I beleive. The C-7 is a 300K motor, but power wise, the big bore Dmax (7.8) actually has more power.

True, the 3208 was basically a throw away motor. We ran them in a garbage truck fleet, and they would go 100K, but, consider a grabage truck runs 3 times what the odometer reads. Those trucks were 2050 cornpickers with 5 speed/split rears. The il was dumped every 3 weeks weather the truck sat or not with synthetic Valvoline.

I've never liked the DT466 series because I wlays thought it was slow, but, they resemble the old 450 in line six gassers, you could not kill them.

Encinitas, Ca. 92024

www.naturescapelandscape.com

Old 01-12-2006, 10:39 PM
Gold Oak Network Member

USDA Zone 6
Bill

The motor is in a GMC t6500 (cab-over), 190hp, 25900 gvw w/allison auto trans. It will have a 10' dump body and 2' I-pack.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:47 AM
Gold Oak Member

USDA
That's the C-7. Good engine, just a little shy on power. Is there a reason you're going C/O? And automatic?

Encinitas, Ca. 92024

Old 01-13-2006, 09:53 AM
Gold Oak Member

USDA Zone 5
johnkeegan will become famous soon enough
Bill, I've been following this thread with interest and along with others where you've discussed the Chevy/GMC trucks with the Dmax engines. I too am looking to add another truck probably something in the 26,500 GVW range. I have had great luck with the Isuzus in the 17,500 GVW range but would certainly consider the Chevys since they practically seem interchangeable, except that the Chevys have the option of a stronger engine. But I admit that I like the cab overs because of two things. One, having a tighter turning radius and, secondly, I thought that the unlaiden weight of a cabover is less and therefore it could carry more payload without exceeding the GVW rating. Please, correct me if I'm wrong.
P.S.- on the automatic question. I just find that it's hard to find employees who REALLY know how to drive a standard for a truck. They either don't know how at all or they think it's like their S10 or Honda Civic and that it's a challenge to get through the gears as quick as possible (probably so they can then concentrate on something important like smoking a cigarette, talking on the cell phone or changing the radio station.)
Old 01-13-2006, 10:17 AM
Gold Oak Member

USDA
John:

Gotcha! So, try this one. I know you like the C/O's. Before you go that route, try the new 6500 series GM. The radius is amazing, and I think there is more room in the cab. Or, if you enter the W series, it is basically the Isuzu truck, which GM owns 25% of. Try the Dmax engine, and if possible try the C-7 Cat. I was very skepticle when our fleet manager told me the Dmax actually had more kahonies than the C-7. After being side by side with a 650 Ford and the C-7 option pulling a similar load up a 5 grade, same gears, etc etc, our 6500 began pulling away about the time each truck hit 3-4th gear. It was a very subtle surge, you won't feel like you are on nitro next to a gasser, but nonetheless, it was there.

Other than the geniouses who painted the truck's body (no primer underneath and peeling paint) I am very pleased with not only the power, but over all the way the truck carries itself, it's fuel performance, which on flat freeway running, no load, we can boarder 14MPG, (Loaded and hills it drops way down to 9-10ish) and over all comfort, the truck is great. The only thing we did was add a holled muffler and verticle stainless exhaust, I like the way it barks comming out of a pit ramp, and, the guys don't get gassed when they work near it while the engine runs.

As far as auto, I had the same views, but since our guys grew up on manual, felt that would give us more bang for the buck considering the terrain we run on.

I don't know if I ever disclosed price. The 6500, 208" wheelbase, aluminum wheels, roll off rails installed, 3' tunnel box behind cab, hitch, brake control and wiring, roll-a tarp, 6 speed with Dmax, dancing right at 54K. GM trac-lease, frst and last payment down, and after a small balloon in 5 years, it's ours.

I don't know how the C/O compares, but when you set this one next to a Freightliner, Mack, or Pete, you save 15K and it essentially does the same work.

Encinitas, Ca. 92024

Old 01-13-2006, 10:43 AM
Gold Oak Member

USDA Zone 5
johnkeegan will become famous soon enough
Bill, I saw where they've decreased the turning radius but off hand do you know the difference in the unlaiden weights of the trucks between the regular and the cabovers of comparable GVW. I checked the GM site but they weren't listed.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:49 AM
Gold Oak Member

USDA
Other than our specific truck weighing in at 12,300 bare back, and 15,000 with a container on, I can't help you on the C/O version. TI guess what you need to look out for is front axle weights with the C/O and what the distribution in your state requirements are sitting at.

Encinitas, Ca. 92024

Old 01-13-2006, 09:55 PM
GTX Advisor

USDA Zone 6
jwholden is on a distinguished road
My '93 4700 lopro weighs in at 12,200 with a 23,900 GVW. It has a 12' mason body dump and Allison AT545. My winter project is installing two 72" underbody boxes to replace the four footers I have. I'm looking forward to being able to keep all the shovels, forks, rakes, brooms etc. on the truck at all times.

I looked at the tunnel boxes when I had the truck built, but I didn't want to extend the wheelbase and got cheap. This is a mistake I have regretted.
As a father I was always aware that I was raising my sons to leave home, marry, establish families, and be men who could stand on their own two feet. We must fulfill our own destiny. I really wasn't concerned about what they might 'do' but I wanted them to 'be' good men.
- David Epps
Old 01-13-2006, 10:10 PM
Sapling

USDA
start2finish is an unknown quantity at this point
i keep my shovels and rakes under the bed. there is room between the crossmembers and the subframe of the bed. (shovels and such go up with bed and don't get caught when lowering)
Old 01-14-2006, 08:49 AM
Gold Oak Network Member

USDA Zone 6
JW, what engine do you have in that 4700?
Old 01-14-2006, 10:20 AM
GTX Advisor

USDA Zone 6
jwholden is on a distinguished road
It has a DT360 (a scaled down DT466) with a whopping 430 lbs of torque. She doesn't get me there fast, but she gets me there without overworking a lighter duty truck. I average around 9 MPG and there is no OD in the transmission.
As a father I was always aware that I was raising my sons to leave home, marry, establish families, and be men who could stand on their own two feet. We must fulfill our own destiny. I really wasn't concerned about what they might 'do' but I wanted them to 'be' good men.
- David Epps
Old 01-14-2006, 04:10 PM
Gold Oak Network Member

USDA Zone 6
I see a lot of Internationals for sale but they all have the 444. I've decided to go with the GMC after having a mechanic check it out but now I have a problem. I have a buyer for my mitsubishi and he wants to take it on tuesday but I'll be left with only a 1 ton for 3 weeks.