Ground Trades Xchange - a landscaping forum

Go Back   Ground Trades Xchange - a landscaping forum > Landscape Services > Landscaping Tools and Equipment
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2005, 10:37 PM
Administrator

USDA Zone 4
Stonehenge will become famous soon enough
Installing skid steer tracks

Bought some skid steer tracks today (need to get in and out of that big pond we're building), and plan to install them tomorrow. How taut should they be? I'm not sure there's going to be lots of room for adjustment, but wondering how much slack is acceptable.

Also, will they stretch/loosen in time?

How would you like some free trade magazines?

Landscaping Appleton, Neenah and Wisconsin's Fox Valley

The Dirt - my blog about running a landscaping business.
Old 10-01-2005, 06:12 AM
Gold Oak Member

USDA Zone 5
site is on a distinguished road
The directions on my tracks said about 1" of slack is good. I havent seen any stretching yet although they only have about 30 hours on them. Have fun in your new tank.
Old 10-01-2005, 07:27 AM
Administrator

USDA Zone 4
lol - I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks for the info. I'll take a few pics today and post 'em later.

Old 10-01-2005, 09:46 AM
Gold Oak Member

USDA
Bill Schwab is an unknown quantity at this point
Jeff:

What are you trying to achieve with these tracks? If they are just going to stop you from sinking in muck, they should be great. If you are looking for hieghtened climbing abilities, I'm not sure what the gain will be because the centers of gravity are similar to when the machine has wheels.

I've never run steel over rubber tracks on a skid steer myself and that is from what I have read. Post back and let us know how they work, I'm curious.

Encinitas, Ca. 92024

www.naturescapelandscape.com

Old 10-01-2005, 08:28 PM
Administrator

USDA Zone 4
I'm not looking to traverse steeper terrain - just that this pond is excavated out of greasy-slick clay, and our skidder starts to spin it's tires when I just talk about going into the bottom of the pond.

Re: steel vs rubber - I had always read/heard that steel was easier on your tires, harder on the surface you drive on (turf, concrete, asphalt), and that rubber tracks are easier on the things you drive on, harder on your tires.

Below is a pic of the skidder in foot-deep mud today. I have to say that this is one of those tools that I wonder why I waited so long to buy. There is absolutely no way I'd have been able to do any work in that muck without tracks, let alone get up and down the greasy-slick hillside into the pond. I was just about able to impose my will on anything at the bottom of that hole.

Wish I'd have bought them sooner. They'll add a few days to our season by allowing us to work in places we ordinarily couldn't when wet.
Attached Thumbnails
Installing skid steer tracks-muddy.jpg  

Old 10-01-2005, 09:57 PM
GTX Advisor

USDA Zone 5
Paul is on a distinguished road
This is a bit machine dependent but I'll post my thoughts on steel vs rubber tracks. Rubber tracks are great for loose gravel, sand and that job you need to go from hard surface to soft. Not so good as far as machine maintenance, needing to check and adjust chain tension on the drives, plus time wise of installing them (older style rubber band type tracks).

Steel tracks great getting you around on messy job sites, Like Jeff says will add a couple of days or weeks to your year, really can make a difference in frozen ground for those late fall/early winter and early spring jobs. A bit harder on loader pins and bushings make sure you keep grease in them. Steel is more of a pain to lug around and is a bear to install on muddy tires. Try installing them on a cold wet November morning! Steel does add a bit more weight to the machine but might cause some problems with weight kits on some machines. Also check clearances around loader arms if they get loose!

Both have to get cleaned at some point, plan on having a power washer to blast off mud, see above point about putting them on when frozen!
Old 10-02-2005, 07:09 AM
Gold Oak Member

USDA Zone 5
site is on a distinguished road
that looks like a big pond, and a big job for that matter.
Old 10-02-2005, 01:46 PM
Administrator

USDA Zone 4
It'll be our biggest pond to date. Was out there this morning doing a bit more excavating for the waterfall area. I'll be very happy when it's done.