Ground Trades Xchange - a landscaping forum

Go Back   Ground Trades Xchange - a landscaping forum > Landscape Services > Landscaping Tools and Equipment
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2005, 10:40 PM
Gold Oak Member

USDA
Bill Schwab is an unknown quantity at this point
Chevy 4500 Kodiak vs Ford F-450

Anyone who has ever read what I have had to say about Ford truck transmissions of late will be able to guess which one I just bought. So, let me tell what you get with the Chevy, and don't get with the Ford for the same price.

What I got. 05 Duramax powered Allison tranny. Ford uses a down stroked powerstroke, with a transmission held together with rubber bands. Air, elctric windows, locks PS, PB, crew cab, bostrom air ride seat. Electric adjustable mirrors. Rubber floor mats, tight turn control. Withy the flip of a switch, this truck will turn in its own length. Aluminuk wheels with H rated 19.5" tires.

On board air compressor to run air brakes on trailers, and also to use if you need an compressor. 100,000 PSI frame. Eaton #90 rear end, the same one Ford places in the F-550. In comparision, their 450 has a Dana 80, about 3 sizes smaller than the Eaton. 1/2" thick 7 leaf springs, Ford uses 1/4" 6 leaf with helper springs. 1 1/2" thick rear sway bar. Ford does not use one in the F450.

Toss up nose to easily access the engine like all trucks should have. Vehicle cost $38,550.00. Mount a 12' removable side dump body, trailer hitch, brake controller, up lifted chrome exhaust pipe, roll a tarp, aluminum side boxes. Cost, $11890.00, total truck price of $50,440.00.

Base price on a Ford F-450 cab and chassis, $46,550.00 comparably equipped, except you can't compare because the rear end, frame, springs and sway bar don't come in a 450, you have to step up to a 550.

The body will be mounted next week, and then it goes to the sign shop. On the doors, it will read, Naturescape Landscape Co., our license number, phone and along the bottom sill
"Holding up banks all over San Diego County" with the Keystone logo next to it.

After meeting with Paul last week, and discussing where to keep the company at, or where to grow it to, we made a dcision to take it past the 5mm mark, so this truck is going to be assigned to one of our foreman.

It makes me sick when I think my first home was less money than a truck....

Encinitas, Ca. 92024

www.naturescapelandscape.com

Old 07-30-2005, 10:51 PM
GTX Advisor

USDA Zone 5
Paul is on a distinguished road
It's a big move Bill, I know but in the long run you'll be better off. Now you can hire that person the you need to take it past that $5M mark. From Now on the Sky's the limit
Old 07-30-2005, 11:57 PM
Shade Tree

USDA Zone 5
Pelican is on a distinguished road
After the multitude of problems I've had with both my '01 F-350 and '02 F-550, I'll be looking at the 5500 for the next replacement. My 550 has been back at the dealer for 3 weeks now for a list of 8 items to be repaired, and they found a couple more major repairs while they had it.

I bought a '92 3500 with 180,000 miles on it to use while the '02 was on order, that truck is more reliable than either one of the new Fords!!! I've used Fords since starting my business, but I've been very disappointed in the amount of repairs they've required and how I've been treated at the time of the repairs!!!

God, Guns & Guts made America Free!
What this world needs is a few more Rednecks!...

And we vowed to get the ones behind Bin Laden, have you forgotten? Darryl Worley

Visit HeavyEquipmentForums.com

myspace
Old 07-31-2005, 12:03 AM
Administrator

USDA Zone 4
Stonehenge will become famous soon enough
Bill, I thought you guys already had a small fleet of vehicles like the one you just purchased. Not so?

BTW, nice truck.

How would you like some free trade magazines?

Landscaping Appleton, Neenah and Wisconsin's Fox Valley

The Dirt - my blog about running a landscaping business.
Old 07-31-2005, 12:13 AM
Gold Oak Member

USDA
Jeff:

We have 2 4500/5500 series, two Mack Vision roll offs in the hauling catagories. This one will be for another crew of 4. The other trucks don't have the room, and the roll off division is really taking off as a separate garbage hauling entity all itself.....

Paul is right...Now it is time to look aggressivley for that person to take us to the next level. I'm thinking a bean counter type who will work well with an operations guy like myself would be the right mix. I'm not jumping into that hire as of yet however....Going to take my time and really make the right move.

Encinitas, Ca. 92024

Old 07-31-2005, 01:05 AM
Administrator

USDA Zone 4
Stonehenge will become famous soon enough
That's what I thought - I figured I must have been missing part of the discussions you had with Paul; I couldn't imagine a 4500 being the piece of the puzzle you needed to get to/over $5M.

But I think a helicopter division might get you there....

How would you like some free trade magazines?

Landscaping Appleton, Neenah and Wisconsin's Fox Valley

The Dirt - my blog about running a landscaping business.
Old 07-31-2005, 08:45 AM
Gold Oak Member

USDA Zone 6
GLAN will become famous soon enough
F450 is nothing but a glorified F350....This I will admit.....being the Ford guy that I am.

For a landscape maintenace contractor the F450 is more desirable for the reason of the extra load capacity and the lower loading height.

For mason contractors the Top Kick is better for them cause they will cary a load that would be heavier than what a F450 would carry and not appear to over weighted...This is due to the height differences of the truck......and I guess as Bill explained the leaf spring set up differences for each truck. I honestly never looked closely at a Top Kick......not practicle for my operations.

Good Luck with it Bill
Old 07-31-2005, 10:28 AM
Gold Oak Member

USDA
This will be one more crew truck on a journey to get us over the mark. After some precise caculations using all my extremities multiple times (there is only 20 fingers and toes) I hope we can do this in 4 years. That is safely agressive. That crew at present is going to be broken off out from two crews going now, and added to. We are currently restricted vehicluarly, because we can only be so many places at once. We also have to add one more high lift, another pad foot vibratory roller, and probably a wheeled machine of some sorts.

Glan:

Even though Ford may rate it's 450 higher than the top kick, and it looks as though it is lower, the frame rails on the 4500 are 6" lower, which means the bed will mount lower. The weight capacities, with a 100,000 PSI frame, and the larger Eaton rear and suspension, it can actually carry as much as a 7500 in it's same body capacity.

That flip flop steering switch is the coolest. When you use it under 5MPH, the wheels almost appear as though they are falling over and the truck turns tighter than the W series cab over that are the same length.

Anyhow, those are the basic differences between each truck.

Encinitas, Ca. 92024

Old 07-31-2005, 11:00 AM
Gold Oak Member

USDA Zone 6
There is a company parking on the same property as I am. They have 2 4500 top kicks......A friend who has starting parking next to me has a F450.....Both dump bodies are the same, from the same installer.......the top kick is no less than 18 inches higher from the ground to the top of the box than the F450.

I can measure for sure tomorrow.
Old 07-31-2005, 11:42 AM
Gold Oak Member

USDA
I already did that from the 450 we had and the cab and chassis, unless.....Someone installed 20" heavy haul wheels...This truck has low pro tires. Now the cab on a 4500 is a whole bunch higher than a 450, which is good because you can get in with a hard hat on where you can't in a 450 without taking it off.

Encinitas, Ca. 92024

Old 08-25-2005, 11:09 PM
Seedling

USDA
bigviclbi is an unknown quantity at this point
CAN'T BUY NEW..How 'bout an f-450 with a 6 speed manual and diesel engine? I'd have to imagine a llot less problems??
Old 08-25-2005, 11:55 PM
Gold Oak Member

USDA
"CAN'T BUY NEW..How 'bout an f-450 with a 6 speed manual and diesel engine? I'd have to imagine a llot less problems??"

BigVic:

Because of multiple past problems with late model Fords, I'm done with them. And, manual trannies are the best way to go in my opinion, so long as you know and can trust the driver. The reason we went automatic is simple. Better to have an expensive repair less frequently, and a $1,000.000 clutch job 2-6 times a season.

Encinitas, Ca. 92024

Old 08-26-2005, 12:42 AM
Seedling

USDA Zone 5
smittybros is an unknown quantity at this point
guys take it from me, if u haul alot and and travel with a serious payload STAY.... AWAY .....FROM.... F O R D. we replace our one ton dumps every 3 yrs. except for the 03 fords we had, got rid of them in just under 2 yrs. hard to beleive but i put in a total of 6 trans. used ta swear by fords now only at em. i went chev for my little trucks, 1 1/2 ton dumps, always automatic, i can honestly say these trucks deserve to be called trucks. unlike those damb fords. 1 st time a small truck has impressed me. still a fan of my sterling 6 wheelers though. any u guys lookin to buy dont go ford. if u dont beleive me u can just ask 3 different landscapers that bought the 4 trucks i traded in. i gotta laugh every time i see em on the road.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:17 AM
Gold Oak Member

USDA Zone 6
Quote:
Originally posted by GLAN
There is a company parking on the same property as I am. They have 2 4500 top kicks......A friend who has starting parking next to me has a F450.....Both dump bodies are the same, from the same installer.......the top kick is no less than 18 inches higher from the ground to the top of the box than the F450.

I can measure for sure tomorrow.

Forgot to post the actual measurement. It was only 3 inches higher. From a distance it realy looks like the top kick dump body is so much higher.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:04 AM
Seedling

USDA
bigviclbi is an unknown quantity at this point
Anybody have an older Ford superduty? There is a 1992 diesel 5 speed 153,00 miles I can get for about $5500? The engine is an international. I've been looking for a medium dump truck that's in my price range (5-15k) and its hard as hell to find something good. Right now I have a dump trailer I tow with my 1993 f-350 with gas 460. I can haul 4 tons and have done close to 5(thank god i live on completely flat ground anything over 3.5 and small hills are tough.) My truck has about 175,000 on it and burns oil. I know its gonna be sooner than later that I need something new. I hate dumping money into it but have had to do it my first two years. I am happy with the dump trailer as it can dump 4 tons no problem and with the sides can hold 5 yards of mulch. Not always easy driving and backing up though. This is my third year and I'm trying to not go out and buy stuff I can't afford. Should I get a newer f-350 dump and tow my trailer with it? Move up and get an older f-450(Bill you have scared me away from all newer f-450's)? Should I keep waiting and hope my truck lasts thru spring? I never really need more than 4 tons at a time as I can get large loads delivered next day. How bout chevy 3500 hd's? I see a couple for sale in the mid 1990's with 115k miles for about 14k. Seems like too much $$ to me.