Ground Trades Xchange - a landscaping forum

Go Back   Ground Trades Xchange - a landscaping forum > Landscape Services > Landscaping Design
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2011, 09:57 PM
B&B Tree

USDA Zone 7
Clarkkent will become famous soon enough
Fence Design

So my parade of fences is coming to a close -- 4 different fences in about a week-and-half. Burning the candle to get these done before the new ordinance takes effect, which was just passed by our borugh council (don't get me started on the prohibitiveness of the ordinance.)

Anyway, some decent work with some traditional designs, but this one was a cool colaboration between me and my clients, both artsy folks, a graphic designer and photographer.

The house which you can't se in the pic is a long 1950s rancher built on top of a rock ledge, which they've completely blown out the inside to give it a urban loft feel.

Anyway here's the fence.

And by the way, it was a Craigslist job. Good leads are still out there on the list of Craig.
Attached Thumbnails
Fence Design-100_3084.jpg  
www.clarkkentcreations.com
Old 05-12-2011, 11:33 PM
Wise Old Oak

USDA Zone 8
Fine Edge is just really nice Fine Edge is just really nice Fine Edge is just really nice Fine Edge is just really nice Fine Edge is just really nice
Clark, looks real good. Don't usually see 2 different size horizontal boards. Cedar?

You know what might make it look just a tad bit better, and I may just be crazy, but breaking up the joint line of the boards by making the smaller ( or larger ) widths break on the center posts as opposed to all of them breaking on the same post. Would really make it look more "un-panel-ish".
Still looks awesome.
It's just the construction background coming out and how everything, when built, seems to be staggered ( plywood, shingles, brick, block )

Twitter: @FineEdgeDesign
Old 05-13-2011, 08:09 AM
B&B Tree

USDA Zone 7
I hear ya' FE. Not only would it look better if the seams didn't all line up, but it would add a small element of structural suport as well.

The posts are set at 7' +/- intervals (a few minor variations due to rocks and roots.) At the mid-pt of each section I have a vertical 2x4 backer board just to help prevent sag and warping. I wanted each horizontal bd to hit at least two solid set posts for stability reasons, as I was leary of securing the bds to the independent backer bds on the end and just one post connection at midpoint.

I could have gone w/ 10'-12' lengths and had each board run a section and a half, but getting the longer lengths in cedar, particularly the 2x2s, was proving difficult to locate and/or extremely costly, and the homeowner said just to go with the seams lining up per individual section.

I was with you in your thinking though.

fyi, it's 2x2s and 2x4s, fence grade cedar, and I used a piece of 5/4 decking as my spacer between boards. When we were discussing the design, we had also tossed the idea around of using some larger sizes, perhaps 2x6s, but they wanted the smalller sizes to give it a little more openness. Gets some really cool play with the light and shadows in the late afternoon too.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:08 AM
Whip

USDA Zone 8
UNL will become famous soon enough
Looks good with what you had to work with, I know we all have been there when budgets come into play. Your client could always hang some art on the fence to pull the eye :-)

Victor

www.higginslandscape.com

http://www.facebook.com/Higginsandtiller
Old 05-13-2011, 06:02 PM
Gold Oak Member

USDA Zone 8
natural12 is on a distinguished road
Nice job Clark, I like seeing unique fences like that. Cedar is a difficult wood to find here in NC for projects like that. I would like to see more of your fence work. More pix please.

Whats with the fencing ordinance?
Old 05-13-2011, 08:49 PM
B&B Tree

USDA Zone 7
Thanks for the comments guys. Here's a few more pics as requested, but most of these are more traditional designs...

As for the ordinance, it's a long story that has to go way back to this borough's (akin to a village for you non-PA folks out there) quaker origins.

Supposedly founded on openess, blah blah blah. Anyway, there's this old time regime that still strives to achieve these visions circa 1870 despite what the public wants. Long story short, as of Monday privacy fences taller than 4' are illegal, and it's this ridiculous 6 page ordinance that just gets way too involved for a simple fence. And the worst part about was the overwhelming majority of the public was against it. It's true, you can't fight city hall.

If anyone really cares enough, I'll attach the link, but you'll have much more fun reading the dictionary and you'll probably be done sooner too.

http://swarthmorepa.org/government/d...1043fences.pdf

I have a supplier up here that gets a lot of fence grade cedar, mostly in 2x2s, 4s, and 6s, as well as 1x pickets. I'm not sure if you can make out the lattice too clearly in the pic, but it's a nice beefy 1" over 1", and sits in a dadoed groove in the rails.
Attached Thumbnails
Fence Design-100_3058.jpg   Fence Design-100_0995.jpg   Fence Design-100_0989.jpg  
Old 05-13-2011, 09:10 PM
Gold Oak Member

USDA Zone 6
brooks will become famous soon enough brooks will become famous soon enough
Those look awesome! Thanks for the photos! I really love the look of cedar fences.

Wondering, because we just got a quote on that same type of fence from a fence contractor for a job- have you done that style before? He said that a middle horizontal rail had to be in place because the vertical boards will warp and get all cattywumpus on us. He said he's had problems in the past with it...

www.arcadiagardensllc.com
Old 05-13-2011, 10:29 PM
B&B Tree

USDA Zone 7
@Brooks, which style were you referring to?

The orginal photo was a first time design, but I have done some other horizontal plank fences with various degrees of gaps between the boards.

The other three are pretty standard designs that I've done a number of times with a few variations.

I guess it depends on the lumber your guy is using, but in general I find that two rails works fine for a stockade style fence. For a typical 6' "one-sided" stockade fence, I usually set one rail about 12" up from grade, and the top rail about 1' down from the top.

The solid fence in the pics is what I call a framed stockade -- same appearance from both sides. It's about as far as I like to stretch a vertical span with no intermediate backer. The 1x6 rc pickets are resting on a flat 2x4, sandwiched between 2 2x2s on front and back, with the same treatment on the top. There's close to 6' between the bottom rail and the top, and I've never had major problems with warping. Maybe a little bit of flex, but certainly nothing significant. I think the fact they're sandwiched in helps too.

Another nice thing about the framed stockade design -- no visible screws. I set my rails, set one 2x2 on the back side of the rail, screw in the pickets to the back 2x2, and then close up the treatment with the front 2x2.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:29 AM
Gold Oak Member

USDA Zone 6
brooks will become famous soon enough brooks will become famous soon enough
Sorry- I meant the framed stockade style...

I really like the look of all of them

www.arcadiagardensllc.com
Old 10-21-2016, 07:45 AM
Seedling

USDA Zone 1
charleswalker4 is on a distinguished road
Looks good !

You might like the following content from the Ground Trades Xchange, served by Google: