Ground Trades Xchange - a landscaping forum

Go Back   Ground Trades Xchange - a landscaping forum > Landscape Services > Landscaping Design
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2010, 08:22 PM
Acorn

USDA Zone 4
bubbagrange is on a distinguished road
need ideas to make money landscaping

i have a tiny little business landscaping. does anyone know the different ways to make money doing the business. like mulch delivery, mowing, splitting wood,.. there are many different ways to make money landscaping. what i am looking for are the one step money makers. the quickest ways to make money. what kinds of things can i advertise. maybe it can be a little off the topic of landscaping.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:35 PM

USDA Zone 6
agla is just really nice agla is just really nice agla is just really nice agla is just really nice
Labor only gets you so far. Equipment gets you debt, unless it is busy. Anything that moves product that you can mark up is what can make you money especially if you don't have to hold it as inventory beforehand.

The biggest difficulty is not what you can or can't do. It is being found by those who need whatever it is that you are trying to sell at the time that they want to buy it and think you are their best option.

Cape Cod Landscape Architect
Old 04-23-2010, 09:10 AM
B&B Tree

USDA Zone 7
Clarkkent will become famous soon enough
Last year when business was really slow I started doing a fair amount of concrete sidewalk replacements. Our town is an older neighborhood with a fair amount of buckled, heaved sidewalks, and the homeowners are responsible for sidewalk upkeep.

I started doing a bunch of smaller to medium sized sidewalk replacement jobs. Everything from one 4x4 square up to 20-30' of sidewalk. It turned out that it kept me above water last year, and I am continuing to do more concrete work. Not big jobs, but "cashflow" jobs as I call them. Small 1,2, or 3-day jobs at up to $1500 is a nice way to keep the cash coming in. Not glamourous for sure, but a good cashflow source. And very little if any equipment investing needed.

Also in the winter I market a fair amount of hauling work. Everything from landscape-related excavating/hauling to garage/basement clean-outs and disposal. The problem with these services is that it can start to interfere with your bread and butter when things pick up in the spring. Craigslist is a good place to advertise those kind of services because it's free, and you don't feel bad about nixing the ads when things get moving in the real line of work.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:02 PM
Wise Old Oak

USDA Zone 8
Fine Edge is just really nice Fine Edge is just really nice Fine Edge is just really nice Fine Edge is just really nice Fine Edge is just really nice
Don't get confused by calling deliveries, mowing and wood splitting as part of a landscape service.
Ditto what Agla said.

Twitter: @FineEdgeDesign
Old 04-24-2010, 08:05 AM
Acorn

USDA Zone 4
.. cant figure out how to remove mistaken posts. so i guess i will just have to type this.

Last edited by bubbagrange; 04-24-2010 at 08:16 AM..
Old 04-24-2010, 08:09 AM
Acorn

USDA Zone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by agla View Post
Labor only gets you so far. Equipment gets you debt, unless it is busy. Anything that moves product that you can mark up is what can make you money especially if you don't have to hold it as inventory beforehand.

I definitely agree. with all do respect - what it is that i am looking for is the little jobs that "move product that can be marked up" and a plus if i dont have to "hold it as inventory".. any suggestions on these kinds of jobs?

The biggest difficulty is not what you can or can't do. It is being found by those who need whatever it is that you are trying to sell at the time that they want to buy it and think you are their best option.
i think that one of the most important things about getting a business started is advertiseing, and doing it as much as possible. in hopes of "being found". you might get too many jobs to do, but i would rather turn a job down, than not even have enough jobs. thanks for the post.

Last edited by bubbagrange; 04-24-2010 at 08:17 AM..
Old 04-24-2010, 08:14 AM
Acorn

USDA Zone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkkent View Post
Last year when business was really slow I started doing a fair amount of concrete sidewalk replacements. Our town is an older neighborhood with a fair amount of buckled, heaved sidewalks, and the homeowners are responsible for sidewalk upkeep.

I started doing a bunch of smaller to medium sized sidewalk replacement jobs. Everything from one 4x4 square up to 20-30' of sidewalk. It turned out that it kept me above water last year, and I am continuing to do more concrete work. Not big jobs, but "cashflow" jobs as I call them. Small 1,2, or 3-day jobs at up to $1500 is a nice way to keep the cash coming in. Not glamourous for sure, but a good cashflow source. And very little if any equipment investing needed.

Also in the winter I market a fair amount of hauling work. Everything from landscape-related excavating/hauling to garage/basement clean-outs and disposal. The problem with these services is that it can start to interfere with your bread and butter when things pick up in the spring. Craigslist is a good place to advertise those kind of services because it's free, and you don't feel bad about nixing the ads when things get moving in the real line of work.

this is exactly the kind of "thing" i am talking about. those little things, here and there than can help pull in the doe. i dont know how serious this little problem might be, cause i just moved to this town, but i suppose it wouldnt hurt to do some research on how to do this kind of work. and the fact that it doesnt have much of a start up cost is what makes this post perfect. thank you..

and do you have an excavator for those winter jobs, or is it profitable enough work to rent one. i have no clue what kind of business this kind of job can bring.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:10 AM
B&B Tree

USDA Zone 7
Clarkkent will become famous soon enough
No on the excavator. That's a big investment, especially for on-the-side cashflow jobs. I don't even mess around with renting excavators. I have an excavating contractor I sub out to on the big summer jobs, but that's a separate beast from these "cashflow" jobs you're talking about.

I'm also very careful not to include any of these "side" services in w/ my main advertising or website. I don't want this stuff to dilute the message of what my main services are. That's why I've found Craigslist good for this type of advertising.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:54 PM
Gold Oak Member

USDA Zone 6
GLAN will become famous soon enough
Basicaly...........you just whore yourself out to do almost anything......till you find your niche and get rolling
Old 04-26-2010, 07:05 AM

USDA Zone 6
agla is just really nice agla is just really nice agla is just really nice agla is just really nice
Bubba,

I don't know if you have advertised before for basic landscape services, but I don't think you'll get buried in work. So many people provide these services and so many advertise.

If this is totally new to you, you'll find that it is might be easy to equip yourself and easy to do the wrk, but not so easy to get the work.

Cape Cod Landscape Architect
Old 10-21-2010, 10:47 AM
Acorn

USDA Zone 5
DC&C is on a distinguished road
Do you offer landscape design and planting installation? Probably the most profitable aspect of landscape installtion besides nightlighting. Planting is easy enough to do and lighting with a little practice is easy to master. If you are not a landscape designer or do not want to add one to your payroll there are services and options. Send me an email to discuss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbagrange View Post
i have a tiny little business landscaping. does anyone know the different ways to make money doing the business. like mulch delivery, mowing, splitting wood,.. there are many different ways to make money landscaping. what i am looking for are the one step money makers. the quickest ways to make money. what kinds of things can i advertise. maybe it can be a little off the topic of landscaping.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:45 AM
Acorn

USDA Zone 5
justin1982z28 is on a distinguished road
I've had good luck with mulch delivery and spreading since it is something that tends to get repeat business every year. I second the part about advertising and getting the word out. There are some good basic tips on advertising landscaping your landscaping business that here: Make Money with a Landscaping Business - InfoBarrel

Edit: I just realized this thread is 2 years old. I'm going to post anyway, maybe it will help someone.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:18 AM
GTX Advisor

USDA Zone 4
Nebraska is on a distinguished road
Could you condense the formula any better? Where were you when I started.......????? I probably wouldn't have listened then anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agla View Post

Old 11-28-2013, 03:21 AM
Acorn

USDA Zone 10
MaxSchau is on a distinguished road
At my company Paul's Landscaping Melbourne we offer everything with rubbish and waste removal as well as tree surgeon service which is basically removing dead branches and things like that. A lot of people take advantage!
Old 01-13-2014, 07:20 PM
Acorn

USDA Zone 5
joshuthomas is on a distinguished road
Landscaping is a good business especially in Melbourne, you have to ensure that you have a hardworking and creative team behind you to serve your customers as per their requirements. Gradually you will have customer confidence and referred business, such niche business grows based on experience, trust and high quality work.

You might like the following content from the Ground Trades Xchange, served by Google: