Ground Trades Xchange - a landscaping forum

Go Back   Ground Trades Xchange - a landscaping forum > Landscape Services > Landscaping Design
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2006, 10:05 AM
Whip

USDA Zone 8
secondnature is on a distinguished road
Dynascape/iris 3.0

Hello! Wondering if there are many folks that are designing with the olderr Dynascape 3.0/Iris combo?

I have some questions about it.

Thanks!
Old 06-20-2006, 11:48 AM
Gold Oak Member

USDA Zone 9
Inspired is on a distinguished road
I use Dynascape 3.0, Karla.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:26 PM
Whip

USDA Zone 8
Hi Kisich Design,

Thanks for your response. Have you had any function issues regarding the IRIS software that works with Dynascape 3.0?

Before I go into my whole issue I am having, so as not to bore you with all the details, let me know!!

Thanks a million,
Old 06-20-2006, 02:41 PM
Whip

USDA Zone 8
OK...twist my arm... I will share all the gory details!

I have both a PC and a laptop that operate with Windows XP and both have my Dynascape/IRIS software loaded.

All of a sudden, I noticed that when labeling my drawings with plant material on my laptop it was not finding some of the plant material that I know that I have in my database.

I double checked the USDA Zone settings on both the IRIS configuration and also on my often-used plant materials. All was well.

Then I edited one of my plant selections in the IRIS database, changing something that I could then bring up while on dynascape, and sure enough it did not register the change on that plant.

Hmmm.

I now cannot even access IRIS on my PC...I get a message telling me that the IRIS server (SQL?) cannot be accessed, and ask if I would like to reconfigurer my code, or try another server (?).

I can still get on the IRIS program on my laptop, but it is not functioning as described. Just this morning, I uninstalled IRIS, the SQL Server, cleared my temp files and cookies, and removed all traces from my Crive...then reinstalled. I get a "CLC Error"
telling me that the hardrive cab file does not match the set up's
cab file and that the medium from which I am running the set up
from may be corrupted, and to contact the software vendor.

Dynascape is not in the buisness of assisting with tech support if you don't buy their $$ upgrades. I have been very happy with my software and its capabilities and it features are just fine the way they are.

Well, when they are functioning, of course!!

Any thoughts from anyone or experience with a similar issue?

I cannot move forward with my work until I get this figured out, darn it! I cannot even get paid tech support from the software vendor!!

Oh brother.

Thanks for your time,
Old 06-20-2006, 08:26 PM
Administrator

USDA Zone 4
Stonehenge will become famous soon enough
I may send a note to Fred, one of their primary tech guys at Dynascape, to have a look at this thread and see if he can offer some input.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:41 PM
Gold Oak Member

USDA Zone 9
Inspired is on a distinguished road
Hopefully Fred can help you.

Unfortunately I donít have anything very constructive to add. Your problem sounds exactly like the problem I had about three years ago right after I purchased the software. I talked with Jodie Munsel a few times, who seemed interested in solving my problem. They helped me for free since I was still within the one year support period. The problem however, has remained unsolved. I cannot get Iris to work at all anymore. It only worked a few times anyway. I feel pretty sure Jodie and Garden Graphics would have invested more time into the issue, however I became frustrated and stopped calling them. I just couldnít waste any more time messing with it. Since I used to be a contractor, I just used my old bid programs and prices which I was used to using for years before I began using CAD.

I still use Dynascape for residential jobs where the homeowner hires me. The Dynascape image library or image pallets (plants, trees, cars, fountains, etc) tend to look more impressive to homeowners then most of the standard AutoCAD images out there. Frankly though, I work mostly for contractors anymore and they tend to prefer a more functional appearance, something the field guys can install from. That sort of drawing can be created with many different CAD programs. As far as Iris and pricing is concerned, of course the contractor wants to bid it himself.

Last year I decided to try AutoCAD because it is by far the most widely used software by Landscape Architects and city permit offices in this area. I ended up purchasing AutoCAD LT (about $750.00). So I guess you could say I chalked Dynascape and Iris up to experience and moved on.

Sorry I canít be more helpful. Hopefully someone else here can. If you should decide to move on yourself, I can share my reasons for choosing AutoCAD.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:11 PM
Whip

USDA Zone 8
Thank you for your input!! It is so unfortunate when this sort of thing happens during mid-season!! Yikes! I may just resort to manually working up plant lists. Heavy Sigh.

Once again, thanks! I am glad I found this forum....!

Karla
Second Nature Landscape Design

Quote:
Originally posted by KisichDesign
Hopefully Fred can help you.

Unfortunately I donít have anything very constructive to add. Your problem sounds exactly like the problem I had about three years ago right after I purchased the software. I talked with Jodie Munsel a few times, who seemed interested in solving my problem. They helped me for free since I was still within the one year support period. The problem however, has remained unsolved. I cannot get Iris to work at all anymore. It only worked a few times anyway. I feel pretty sure Jodie and Garden Graphics would have invested more time into the issue, however I became frustrated and stopped calling them. I just couldnít waste any more time messing with it. Since I used to be a contractor, I just used my old bid programs and prices which I was used to using for years before I began using CAD.

I still use Dynascape for residential jobs where the homeowner hires me. The Dynascape image library or image pallets (plants, trees, cars, fountains, etc) tend to look more impressive to homeowners then most of the standard AutoCAD images out there. Frankly though, I work mostly for contractors anymore and they tend to prefer a more functional appearance, something the field guys can install from. That sort of drawing can be created with many different CAD programs. As far as Iris and pricing is concerned, of course the contractor wants to bid it himself.

Last year I decided to try AutoCAD because it is by far the most widely used software by Landscape Architects and city permit offices in this area. I ended up purchasing AutoCAD LT (about $750.00). So I guess you could say I chalked Dynascape and Iris up to experience and moved on.

Sorry I canít be more helpful. Hopefully someone else here can. If you should decide to move on yourself, I can share my reasons for choosing AutoCAD.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:13 PM
Whip

USDA Zone 8
Thanks! I will look into it.

Karla
Second Nature

Quote:
Originally posted by Stonehenge
I may send a note to Fred, one of their primary tech guys at Dynascape, to have a look at this thread and see if he can offer some input.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:13 PM
Administrator

USDA Zone 4
Stonehenge will become famous soon enough
I sent a note to Fred, so I hope to see him respomd here.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:00 PM
Whip

USDA Zone 8
Thank you! I am hoping there is a simple and less costly solution. I would hate to think of changing software..I really do like what Dynascape offers. I have also contacted him via email.

Thanks again,

Karla

Quote:
Originally posted by Stonehenge
I sent a note to Fred, so I hope to see him respomd here.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:38 PM
Sponsor

USDA
DynaSCAPEr is an unknown quantity at this point
Karla,

I responded in the other thread. A 'CRC' error is an error reading the physical surface of your CD - it may have gotten scratched.

Do you know which version you are using? (ie version and increment, like 3.2 etc)

If I know the version you're using, I may be able to find an old build for you that you can download so you can make yourself a new cd. As you'd expect, we don't press old CDs anymore.

Hope this helps,

F.

DynaSCAPE Software
Old 06-21-2006, 03:26 PM
Sponsor

USDA
DynaSCAPEr is an unknown quantity at this point
Karla,

I've located a historical build of DynaSCAPE that roughly corresponds to your purchase date. Check your email for download instructions.

Hope this helps,

F.

DynaSCAPE Software
Old 08-10-2017, 09:27 AM
Acorn

USDA Zone 6
lseagrave is on a distinguished road
DynaSCAPE/Iris 3.0 Manual

Hello Everyone,
My son is going to college in September for landscape design and they have sent a list of suggested book and resources.

One of them is the DynaSCAPE/Iris 3.0 Manual I have looked online for a PDF but I cannot locate anything. It seems to be an older version. If anyone out there can assist it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

You might like the following content from the Ground Trades Xchange, served by Google: