Ground Trades Xchange - a landscaping forum

Go Back   Ground Trades Xchange - a landscaping forum > Landscape Services > Landscaping Design
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2017, 09:34 PM
Acorn

USDA Zone 10
gravelboy is on a distinguished road
Landscape Fabric: To Use or Not To Use

So I'm coming up on a 7-day break and I am trying to plan out as best as I can -on a super low budget- the "rocking" of the front lot of my rental property. I am not doing anything intricate or fancy -just using the same gray/white 3/4 inch gravel on about 5,000 square feet of sandy soil, just to keep the sandy soil from continuing to erode down the slope.

Attached are a couple of pictures of what I am dealing with here.

My question is: should I bother using Landscape fabric? Why or why not?
Any and all suggestions and comments welcome and appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

The Gravel Boy
Attached Thumbnails
Landscape Fabric: To Use or Not To Use-img_1601.jpg   Landscape Fabric: To Use or Not To Use-img_1602.jpg  
Old 03-09-2017, 10:09 PM
Acorn

USDA Zone 10
gravelboy is on a distinguished road
I guess I should mention that I am mostly concerned with keeping the 3/4 in gravel from being absorbed or 'swallowed up' by the sandy soil beneath. In terms of the weed growth, I know from what I've read here, that it is inevitable that weeds will come up regardless.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:25 AM
Seedling

USDA Zone 1
charleswalker4 is on a distinguished road
Yes you can use landscaping fabric. The landscaping fabric needs to be placed over a freshly graded surface, preferably a thin layer of sand. Sand will keep the fabric from tearing over the years. If you place the landscaping fabric over a rocky surface, wear may cause the rocks to create holes in the fabric that weeds can grow through. It is a good idea to purchase the best fabric that you can afford, some of them last much longer than others, and are more tightly woven.

You might like the following content from the Ground Trades Xchange, served by Google: