Ground Trades Xchange - a landscaping forum

Go Back   Ground Trades Xchange - a landscaping forum > Landscape Services > Landscaping Design
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2012, 08:10 PM
Whip

USDA Zone 5
matt in maine will become famous soon enough
this was the first time I have ever been approached with this kind of deal, so I was caught off guard and agreed to do it. She hit me with the 10 percent before and I raised my bid by 5%, thinking I would save some time and headache, since she sold the arrangement to me with the idea that she would stay engaged with the client and act as a lubricant to smooth out any issues. As I said earlier she did nothing of the sort, basically. So I lost 5% on the job, essentially.

Since then I have talked to other designers and LA's I have worked with and they unanimously agree that it's not cool.

I'm finished with that designer.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:03 PM
Acorn

USDA Zone 2
chuck@nri is on a distinguished road
This is very true, all wrong and double charging, by the way i have cousins that live in your neck of the woods
Old 12-15-2012, 11:48 AM
Whip

USDA Zone 8
secondnature is on a distinguished road
I have muddled around with this in the past, when I was designing only.

I had heard of other designers that were asking for percentages from the installers they referred work to.

It did not feel right to me when it came right down to it. I did not feel right about the customer being charged under the table for the kickback I was receiving.

I think realistically, the desire to make more money is always enticing. I would much rather prefer that this type of income infusion to come from a thankful installer to say thank you for the work (work brought to them by me) and for the successful job completion (happy designer, happy installer, happy customer).

And the idea of good installers refering some work back to me....most valuable as well. Having an informal "team" of "make it happen" people is the most inspiring aspect. It can build and build over time.

Business is really all about relationships. I have found.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:04 PM
Whip

USDA Zone 8
secondnature is on a distinguished road
Oh and furthermore. I did try a situation where I was getting this behind the scenes payment from the installer. The woman we were working for was delightful, and the project was awesome in theory.

I was attentive to the job. I felt I was playing two parts...both being very opposing at times, which I did not like and was very uncomfortable with.

The landscape installer was not effective at communicating with the client, and I was expected to, and was being paid to fill in for them in this scenario.

The customer and I had hit it off and established a good relationship of trust during the design and we generally just like each other.

After the project started, dealing with the installer (whom I had referred to her) became unvirtuous to her and to me as well. She would share her concerns (my concerns as well!) and was going directly to them with her issues, by passing me (she lived there 24/7 afterall). I could also see these negative issues. Some in communications style, lack of follow through, ethics, and unorthodox construction practices.

So I was really in a tough spot.

I gracefully bowed out of the job (long story short), telling the install co that they could keep any additional fees they owed me. I was so so relieved to be out from beneath that situation!!

The install company went out of biz not long after that.

So. That is that. I am resolved to not being in that situation again.

If a contractor wants to give me a "thanks" for the appreciated work, I dont want to know how they provide that gratis to me.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:15 PM
Whip

USDA Zone 5
matt in maine will become famous soon enough
I think it comes down to the idea that the customer should know to whom their money is going.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:37 PM

USDA Zone 6
agla is just really nice agla is just really nice agla is just really nice agla is just really nice
You can't be an honest advocate to your client if you are a paid advocate to the installer. You are either work for one or the other. Once you work for one of those parties, you can't work for the other.

Cape Cod Landscape Architect
Old 01-07-2013, 11:13 PM
Acorn

USDA Zone 7
cheanque is on a distinguished road
Best to keep business relationships with clients and contractors completely separate and aboveboard. I've done design work directly for contractors, who then build the project using my design. When I work directly for a client, I have several contractors I trust that I feed the work to, or recommend to the client. I never ask for a referral fee from a contractor.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:25 PM
Gold Oak Member

USDA Zone 6
GLAN will become famous soon enough
I don't entertain finder fees or kick backs

I have my ethical reputation to protect
Old 06-19-2013, 03:13 AM
Acorn

USDA Zone 6
Moldings is on a distinguished road
Thanks for sharing this information with us..
Old 05-31-2016, 05:02 AM
Acorn

USDA Zone 4
plant-the-seed is on a distinguished road
Charging 8-10% is ridiculous unless she is managing the project and the lead contact regarding design, layout and progress. I would charge 10% to create the proposal, create man hours, budget cost, layout daily objectives, contact foreman twice/day to insure objectives were met, etc. You have your mark up for these services prior so no risk to you. The proposal is submitted and everyone makes a nice profit!
Old 10-07-2016, 07:06 AM
Acorn

USDA Zone 2
jameswallen is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the information.

You might like the following content from the Ground Trades Xchange, served by Google: