Ground Trades Xchange - a landscaping forum

Go Back   Ground Trades Xchange - a landscaping forum > Landscape Services > Homeowner Help
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2010, 10:03 PM
Acorn

USDA Zone 5
dexner is on a distinguished road
Patio, foundation & grading issues

I have a concrete patio that needs to be replaced, but there are some issues with the existing patio that need to be dealt with.

First issue:
Part of the patio is covered, under the house. Our bedroom is over the garage and the patio area. The top of the foundation is a few inches higher than the garage floor. The patio itself is a a few inches higher than the foundation, which seems rather strange.

There is metal flashing all along the walls where the patio is against the house, covered with siding down to the level of the deck.

Is having a patio higher than the foundation, with metal flashing against the wall normal, or more important, anything I need to be concerned about? This is original with the house, built in the mid-late 70's.

Second issue:
The portion of the patio in the backyard against the house is graded up about 6 inches at the highest spot against the house. The outside wall is brick where the patio meets the house. So in this case, it is 10 inches or so above the top of the foundation. This section of the house is over a crawlspace.

Is this something I need to be concerned about? Is this normal, standard, or acceptable practice?

It's pretty clear why it was done this way, as it needs to be that way to have a reasonable grade away from the house. We may replace this section of the patio with landscaping.

Any guidance I can get would be great. Not sure what I'm going to try and do myself and what I would use a contractor for at this point.

You might like the following content from the Ground Trades Xchange, served by Google: