Ground Trades Xchange - a landscaping forum

Go Back   Ground Trades Xchange - a landscaping forum > Landscape Services > Homeowner Help
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2009, 02:52 PM
Acorn

USDA Zone 7
teacherloco is on a distinguished road
HELP! My yard is eroding away!

I need some advice with my “dry creek bed”. I live at the bottom end of a fairly large neighborhood and my back yard serves as the natural drainage for the entire neighborhood. From my property the water drains under a road in a culvert to a “neighborhood commons area flood plain”, then to the lake. Most people in the neighborhood have a nice little dry creek bed that flows slightly, however by the time the water reaches my yard it is a raging river. My dry creek bed continues to erode after every hard rain. It has little vegetation in it. I have tried to place small to medium size rocks in it to give it that natural look, but everything gets washed away. Now I am not so concerned with the look as much as I am the erosion. It is pretty much a straight creek bed (only one curve on the end) that is about 40 yards long. It is about 2-3 feet wide and about 2 feet deep, but getting deeper and wider every year. How do I prevent erosion? Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old 07-08-2009, 03:28 PM
Wise Old Oak

USDA Zone 8
Fine Edge is just really nice Fine Edge is just really nice Fine Edge is just really nice Fine Edge is just really nice Fine Edge is just really nice
It would be really helpful to post some pics of the area in question so we can give you some useful suggestions instead of just shooting from the hip.
Do you have any type of fabric under the rocks?

Twitter: @FineEdgeDesign
Old 07-08-2009, 07:15 PM

USDA Zone 6
agla is a jewel in the rough agla is a jewel in the rough agla is a jewel in the rough agla is a jewel in the rough
Erosion is caused by speed and volume. You can't control the volume in this case, so that leaves speed. Increased slope = increased speed. Obviously, the water enters the site at a certain elevation and leaves at a certain elevation neither of which you are likely to be able to change. You are stuck with that.

You can build a series of dams or weirs to keep several segments of the ditch close to level. It will concentrate the energy at the bottom of the spill overs where you can disipate the energy with larger stone rubble.

A narrow channel is going to concentrate volume where a wider one spreads it out reducing the erosive force. The tendency is to maximize your usable space by filling close to the ditch making it narrower and adding to the erosion problem.

Comments on this post
Stonehenge agrees: Nice.

Cape Cod Landscape Architect
Old 07-09-2009, 10:48 AM
Whip

USDA Zone 4
Raj Venugopal is on a distinguished road
Depending on where you live and what your neighbourhood is governed like, there may be grounds to seek municipal government intervention or help from the developer to address any impact on your property that flows (pun intended) from these water runoff issues. There may be a municipal solution, including installation of a catch basin tying into the storm sewers and strategic swaling.