Ground Trades Xchange - a landscaping forum

Go Back   Ground Trades Xchange - a landscaping forum > Landscape Services > Homeowner Help
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2009, 01:20 PM
Acorn

USDA Zone 4
joeeye59 is on a distinguished road
Best material used for a dirt driveway is?

Hi everybody, just joined.... glad I found such a great place that has a big melting pot of a working history....

I wanted to hear from all on ideas and on what I should do about this big project I started last year, its been very hard to do because of when it rains I have to keep pushing huge piles of dirt around messing up what I just graded out so it don't wash soil out into the street, then when it dries up I go back to making the yard and driveway the way I want it, its double the work when it rains, then time consuming because I can't use my John Deere 310c backhoe in the mud because it just makes a mess.....

So now that I gave you an idea of what I have going on my issue is I'm close to having the driveway, yard and front part of the property thats used for parking all set for use soon, but I want to put something down so when it rains I don't get mud, I'll be pitching the slopes accordingly for rain run off when I can throw some type of material down that does not get muddy in the rain...

So I'm not sure what I should throw down, I hear the word "Process" but not sure if there is custom made process for each job?

My soil is all sloping towards the street, and I don't have a muddy yard or muddy problem areas, things are over all dry all the time with good drainage....

I live in the USA in the New England area in the state of Connecticut, and I remember when I was in Florida and the base the guys were putting down for the pavement of the road was this yellow rocky powder, then when leveled out it packed down it was hard like concrete, then they put two inches of pavement on top and all has been well for over tens years....

But I don't want to pave right now, for now I want the dirt I walk on in the driveway and parking areas be hard with out mud, and the area of the driveway that pitches towards the street not give up any or little run off.

so I hear the word "Process" and "Stone Dust"... So I ask if this is the material that packs down hard and I get some different replies...

I'll send picture soon this way you can get an idea on whats going on... thanks, Joe
Old 04-25-2009, 08:08 PM
Sapling

USDA Zone 10
zullo-design is on a distinguished road
RCA, you can probably find it for under $5 per yard, find out where in your area you can dump concrete, chances are they recycle it there, and sometimes if they are running out of space they will give it away.

www.ZULLO-DESIGN.com
Old 04-26-2009, 01:44 AM
Acorn

USDA Zone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by zullo-design View Post
RCA, you can probably find it for under $5 per yard, find out where in your area you can dump concrete, chances are they recycle it there, and sometimes if they are running out of space they will give it away.
Would that be only crushed up recycled concrete?

Also I'm not quite sure what process is made up of in my state? and if RCA is part of the process mix.... I understand thats the stuff (process) is put down as a base before paving with asphalt...

Last edited by joeeye59; 04-26-2009 at 01:53 AM..
Old 04-26-2009, 08:29 AM

USDA Zone 6
agla is a jewel in the rough agla is a jewel in the rough agla is a jewel in the rough agla is a jewel in the rough
In southern New England, processed stone is the generic term for crushed granite road base. It is usually 3/4"- (3/4" broken stone and smaller fine material) blue/gray in color. Stone dust is the fine material from crushing granite. .... none of it is "dirt".

3/4"- is structurally stronger and more resistant to erosion than stone dust.

Another good driveway base material in this area is reprocessed asphalt which is simply ground up recycled asphalt pavement. It is common to put a thin layer of more attractive gravel over it (after it is compacted).

Cape Cod Landscape Architect
Old 04-27-2009, 10:27 AM
Acorn

USDA Zone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by agla View Post
In southern New England, processed stone is the generic term for crushed granite road base. It is usually 3/4"- (3/4" broken stone and smaller fine material) blue/gray in color. Stone dust is the fine material from crushing granite. .... none of it is "dirt".

3/4"- is structurally stronger and more resistant to erosion than stone dust.

Another good driveway base material in this area is reprocessed asphalt which is simply ground up recycled asphalt pavement. It is common to put a thin layer of more attractive gravel over it (after it is compacted).
Thank you very much for the help.... You've convinced me to take a ride out to the yard where they process/handle the kind of material, rather than talk on the phone, this way I can show them my pictures and they'll know what to give me.

I'll send pic's
Old 04-27-2009, 07:45 PM
Acorn

USDA Zone 4
Pic's

In this picture you can't see all of the driveway where I need to put down process.... You can see the flat by the road's edge where there will be street parking, then up top the next elevation above there will be more parking, then you may not be able to see up way in back where I'm going to have a driveway going along side the stone wall all the way up to the back yard for more parking way up top...... so I really need to put something down thats not going to wash away.... then after a few years when I feel I have the property pitched just right for water drainage and water flow I'll pave it...
Attached Thumbnails
Best material used for a dirt driveway is?-0427091118a.jpg