Ground Trades Xchange - a landscaping forum

Go Back   Ground Trades Xchange - a landscaping forum > Landscape Services > Homeowner Help
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2008, 10:28 PM
Acorn

USDA Zone 6
treeder65 is on a distinguished road
Polymeric sand cured on pavers: how do I remove?

I put polymeric sand around the pavers at my pool. I had powerwashed it previously and everything appeared dry. When I ran the compactor over ith though water started pushing up to the surface. I didn't stop, at that time not knowing what a pain it would be to remove it later. So what is best? Very high pressure power washer, sandblaster? I'm not concerned about removing all of it and strting over if I have to. There is about 1800 sf and probably 400 sf covered, but not in one spot only. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:45 PM
Administrator

USDA Zone 4
Stonehenge will become famous soon enough
Try vinegar

How would you like some free trade magazines?

Landscaping Appleton, Neenah and Wisconsin's Fox Valley

The Dirt - my blog about running a landscaping business.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:53 PM
Whip

USDA Zone 11
Rex Mann is on a distinguished road
Use a steam cleaner, the heat will melt/disolve the polymers on the surface.

Best of luck.

Rex

PAVERSINSTALLED.COM

Pavers Installed Company

http://PaversInstalled.Com

Follow us on Twitter @PaversInstalled
Old 05-29-2008, 10:30 PM
Whip

USDA Zone 6
jshilan is on a distinguished road
What about club soda? It works on everything else?

Seriously though, can you just flip the pavers over?

Jody Shilan

"Make your home, your vacation home!"
Old 05-30-2008, 08:25 AM
Acorn

USDA Zone 6
treeder65 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all of the replies. THere is 1800 sf of patio, so I don't want to flip them. I tried a 3500 psi washer and with the right tip, it worked pretty well. The wrong tip though and I started to tear up the actual paver. If it doesn't work out, I agree about the steam cleaner. It only makes sense since a key ingredient is some type of glue. I'm also going to try the vinegar b4 the power washer in hopes that iut will loosen it up a bit. Alone though, the vinegar did not do much with a stiff brush.

Thanks again.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:37 AM
Acorn

USDA Zone 4
Root is on a distinguished road
I found the following info from a google search. Hope it helps anyone who is having the same problem and searched this forum/thread for an answer.

Techniseal SR Slurry Remover Techniseal.com
APPLICATIONS
• Bare surfaces
• Concrete or clay pavers and slabs
PROPERTIES
• Removes cement slurry and polymeric sand haze
DESCRIPTION
TECHNISEAL SR SLURRY REMOVER FOR PAVERS AND SLABS is the most effective product available for removing cement slurry and polymeric sand haze on concrete or clay pavers and slabs.
DIRECTIONS
Wear adequate protective clothing (acid-resistant) to prevent eye and skin contact including, boots, impervious gloves, safety goggles and respirator (if needed).
WARNING - DO NOT USE FULL STRENGTH. ALWAYS DILUTE PRODUCT.
Dilution:
Principle: To use the strongest concentration of product without etching or discoloring pavers. A weaker concentration will increase the labor factor.
1. Into a plastic watering can or using a professional spraying system (no metal parts), dilute 1 part product in 8 parts water.
2. To ensure the results will meet your expectations, it is advisable to test the product on spare pavers or on a small hidden area. Test area or spare pavers must be wet.
• If the product etches or discolors the pavers: lower the concentration (1 part product in 10 parts water) until the product no longer etches or discolors the pavers.
• If the product DOES NOT etch or discolor the pavers: to increase product efficiency and reduce scrubbing, you may use a stronger concentration. The concentration must be strong enough to remove slurry without etching or discoloring pavers.
IMPORTANT: Always test diluted product before using on the entire surface.
Wetting:
To prevent product penetration and make rinsing easier, first saturate surface with water. Always work on a wet surface.
Application:
Cement slurry on concrete pavers or slabs:
1. If application is done on pavers with new polymeric sand joints, wait 30 days before applying the product.
2. Using a plastic watering can or a professional spraying
SLURRY REMOVER. Work in small areas.
3. Lightly scrub.
4. Rinse immediately and thoroughly.
Product should not sit on the surface more than a few seconds.
Polymeric sand haze on concrete pavers or slabs:
1. If application is done on pavers with new polymeric sand joints, wait 30 days before applying the product.
2. Work in small sections; no more than 50 sq. ft.
3. Using a plastic watering can or a professional spraying system (no metal parts), cover the area with SLURRY REMOVER.
4. Lightly scrub.
5. Rinse immediately and thoroughly.
6. Move on to the next section.
Product should not sit on the surface more than a few seconds.
IMPORTANT: DO NOT let product dry on the surface. If product dries on the surface, reapply product, lightly scrub and rinse immediately and thoroughly.
TIP: To improve efficiency on large areas, 3 persons are recommended to apply the product. One person should spray (pour) the product while another is scrubbing and a third is rinsing.
IMPORTANT
May damage the material if applied at full strength; must be diluted with water. Do not use on natural stones or poured concrete.
It is the responsibility of the user to know and follow all approved safety procedures and to comply with all applicable federal, state, and local laws, regulations and ordinances. Never use this product without first consulting with local authorities regarding the application of chemical products, waste management and run-offs.