Ground Trades Xchange - a landscaping forum

Go Back   Ground Trades Xchange - a landscaping forum > Landscape Services > Homeowner Help
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2006, 11:06 PM
Acorn

USDA
southerngal is an unknown quantity at this point
how to cut our asphalt?

Hi guys,

Can anyone recommend an easy way for us to cut a strip (about 40 ft x 32 inches) out of our asphalt driveway. We need to do this to build a foundation for a retaining wall. Is there any alternative to renting one of those big diamond saws?

Tks!
Old 01-03-2006, 11:22 PM
Administrator

USDA Zone 4
Stonehenge will become famous soon enough
Hello southerngal,

You can rent a handheld cutoff saw with diamond blade and do the job; probably cost you $50-60 in rental fees. You could also buy a few abrasive blades for a circular saw, but in doing so you may end up donating the saw to the project (you may kill it using it for that).

How would you like some free trade magazines?

Landscaping Appleton, Neenah and Wisconsin's Fox Valley

The Dirt - my blog about running a landscaping business.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:28 PM
Acorn

USDA
A to Z is an unknown quantity at this point
We do a lot of stamped concrete and still like the little circular skill saw the best. I use a diamond blade - I think it's about 10 inches or so - cost $25. It's a little slower than a cutoff saw but my lines are perfectly straight. I've got a couple thousand feet of cutting on the blade and saw with no failure yet. I'm sure the same combo would cut asphalt just fine...
Old 01-04-2006, 01:13 AM
Acorn

USDA
green feat is an unknown quantity at this point
I've actually had the rough duty of cutting alot of asphalt in road construction. can't say its much fun to do more than 10 feet with a hand held (tough on the back)
ya might check with your local rental outfit to see what they have as far as a small walk-behind unit - I dont know the price diff. but your body might thankyou later even if you spent a little more just to be in an upright position. Also I tend to get it cut alot faster and straighter with the lil' walk-behind units.(sorry I dont really know the name of it) but they usually come equipped with a hook up for a water-hose to to keep dust to a min and probably to help ensure the longevity of the blade. (i like it because it helps me to see the line I am cutting)
hope this helps
Old 01-04-2006, 05:29 PM
Gold Oak Member

USDA Zone 7
Matt Kulp is on a distinguished road
You can rent in most places a cut off saw on a cart for much less than the large walk behind wet saws. We use it quite a bit for cutting black top. It is not quite as fast, but for the area you are doing it will do the trick.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:27 PM
Seedling

USDA
waterfall larry is an unknown quantity at this point
I think the last post was 01 06 and I would think that the job was done by now but for everyones future fyi. The hand held cut off saws with diamond blades work but are expensive. The cost of the saw and wear on the blade. A better alternative is a small to medium sized electric jackhammer. Most have a 2 to 3 inch wide bit. The asphalt can be straightened up with mattock or shovel.

You might try going straight down through the asphalt or going across it like you might if you were using a knife on a piece of steak.