Ground Trades Xchange - a landscaping forum

Go Back   Ground Trades Xchange - a landscaping forum > Landscape Services > Homeowner Help
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2012, 12:02 AM
Acorn

USDA Zone 5
cward0625 is on a distinguished road
Paver Patio Install Question

Hi, I have been reading these forums for completing a paver patio install (unilock). I live in IL just north of Chicago. My home was built a couple months ago after knocking down an existing home. When the builder was doing grading he had asked me what I planned to do in the back, and when I told them I planned to do a patio, they recommended bringing in the CA-6 to put in now rather than later and tearing up the grading and lawn. 2 months later I am getting ready to do the patio and researching it. In researching it, I have read geotextile material is recommended to go in before the base, and the base should be compacted every 2-3", and also the soil should be compacted before the base. I was not present when the base was put in but it looks like its around 8" of base across most of the area.

My first question is, am I going to have problems being that this was not compacted in layers and no textile material was used? I will be compacting it but wasn't sure if I am basically screwed at this point and have to dig out all this base and redo it. Its approx 550sqft area. I would probably need to get a bobcat to redo this and this would be a huge undertaking. On the upside the base has been there for over 2 months now, and I won't be installing the pavers until another month so I would hope this would help compact it.

My next question is on the edging. I have read a bunch of things about snap edge, and it being made thinner then brought back to being thicker again. Is this still the best product? My other question is can you do a concrete toe and the snap edge or the concrete won't stick to it? I have seen concrete installations and the pastic edging at homes and at outdoor malls. Some of the plastic edge installs I see I can see pavers falling away on the outside. The concrete install at a relatives house has the outer pavers bedded in concrete with a concrete toe. This is 10 years old and seems solid, just i can see it being more complicated with outlining the patio vs using the edging. The snap edge I got quoted $9.70 an 8 ft length. I do have 8-10" of extended base material beyond where the pavers will be installed and if I did the edging I was thinking of using 12" spikes.

I just thought using the edging will make for an easier install and then I could supplement it with a concrete toe to better hold it in place. What are your thoughts on this...terrible idea?