Ground Trades Xchange - a landscaping forum

Go Back   Ground Trades Xchange - a landscaping forum > Landscape Services > Homeowner Help
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2011, 11:52 AM
Acorn

USDA Zone 9
spdorsey is on a distinguished road
questn Installing low-voltage lighting under pavestones - best practices?

Hello

I'm installing a new front walkway that will consist of interlocking pavers and a 3/4" stone/sand foundation. It will be bordered on both sides by grass.

I want to place flush lights in the surface of the pavers (drilling holes in the pavers for the lights). the lights will be accents, not used for direct illumination of the walkway.

What is the best practice for running the wires for this setup? Is there a way I should configure this so that I can service the wires/lights in the future if needed? Is this even a concern?

My configuration (black dots are lights):
http://i.imgur.com/X8dDH.png

The lights I plan to use:
http://www.amazon.com/Corona-CL-324-...9122529&sr=8-3

Steve Dorsey

Designer/Animator

San Jose, California

(I'm probably not checking the
email address associated with
this forum account)
Old 10-20-2011, 02:15 PM
Seedling

USDA Zone 8
Dr.NewEarth is on a distinguished road
You need to protect the wires of course. Use metal conduit under the path. It's probably best to run it through the gravel layer. You can run a compactor over the conduit.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:46 PM
Acorn

USDA Zone 9
Metal conduit

Is it difficult to work with metal conduit? My path is curved, and I'm worried about matching the curve under the path with the metal pipes.

Is it an option to bury bare wires (weatherproof wires, of course) outside the path, under the grass? Then run wires up through the pavestones to the lights?

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

Steve Dorsey

Designer/Animator

San Jose, California

this forum account)

Last edited by spdorsey; 10-20-2011 at 02:56 PM..
Old 10-20-2011, 10:16 PM
Whip

USDA Zone 8
UNL is on a distinguished road
Even if you are in the grass I would use sleeving of some sort. Very hard to check for a bad connection when you have to lift pavers and clear gravel, then when finish you have to set the pavers all over.

Notching the back of the pavers for the wire and have the connection on the outside of the path. Make sure the opening you put in the pavers for the light to sit in allows for drainage. I looked at the lights you linked and there are no details that I saw. Since they are made by a tool outfit, take it with a grain of salt they might not last that long... fiberglass lens screams discoloration to me.

Also, have you thought about offsetting the lights? It would look better IMHO.

Victor

www.higginslandscape.com

http://www.facebook.com/Higginsandtiller
Old 10-21-2011, 10:32 AM
Acorn

USDA Zone 9
This is good advice. Thank you.

I had discussed the idea with a neighbor of running the wires outside the path for easy access - running the wires under the pavers only when they need to come in to get to the lights. That would make the entire setup much easier to maintain.

The lights are my first choice for shape, but not my first choice for material. I found some identical lights that are copper, and they are much nicer, but also MUCH more expensive. Since I'm buying ten of them, I need to save cash where I can.

Drilling the pavers for the lights will be an adventure - I've never done that before. Drainage should be a challenge. Ill be paying attention to that.

The path will be a typical 6" of rock and 1-2" of sand with pavers on top. I'm laying the rock and sand today, with pavers over the weekend. I'll pull up the pavestones that need holes when the lights arrive in the mail and then I'll start drilling. I'll have some conduit under it all to run wires when the time comes.

Steve Dorsey

Designer/Animator

San Jose, California

this forum account)
Old 10-21-2011, 08:08 PM
Whip

USDA Zone 8
UNL is on a distinguished road
Copper for well light bodies are a waste of money, but would look nice for the top depending on the color of your blocks. I have cut stones to accept rectangle and square lights, never for round.

Good luck and keep us posted

Victor

www.higginslandscape.com

http://www.facebook.com/Higginsandtiller
Old 10-22-2011, 10:25 AM
B&B Tree

USDA Zone 7
NCSULandscaper will become famous soon enough
use the pvc electrical conduit if you have to use conduit, even galvanized metal will rust under ground
NC Registered Landscape Contractor #1862
NC Certified Plant Professional
NC Licensed Pesticide Applicator
Old 10-24-2011, 09:26 PM
Gold Oak Network Member

USDA Zone 4
AZTLANLC will become famous soon enough
please don't use this lights for a pathway. I did install some similar lights like this in the past, (search in-lites), only one of my customers tough they looked good the rest told me they didn't like the glare, the dark spots they produce once your using the walkway, and personally didn't like them at all neither.
Is there frost in your area? if so that light might heave every winter higher that the pavers creating a risk of someone tripping and falling, also if you are concerned about the price on the fixtures have you considered the price on the core drill bit?
what length is the walkway, 40-50' you can have 7 path lights and accent it much better.
If you are set to do it this way I would run the wire outside the pavers, you also want to have constant voltage between 10.2 and 12 volts to each fixture otherwise you'll be replacing bulbs constantly, either use the hub method or run the wire back to the transformer, do a search for volt lighting you'll find a much better lights close to your price. just my 2 cents
Old 11-09-2011, 03:42 AM
Acorn

USDA Zone 10
DuneMe is on a distinguished road
I've had direct berrial Romex for over 10 years in my Rock Bed. outdoor romex wire

My Lights in the Backyard.
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1788598641569.105930.1437668262#!/photo.php?fbid=1788600401613&set=a.1788598641569.1 05930.1437668262&type=3&theater

The Frontyard with no light (but, the lights on.)
Facebook
Old 03-01-2012, 02:52 PM
Acorn

USDA Zone 11
ledpavers is on a distinguished road
great installation!
Old 03-14-2012, 07:14 PM
Acorn

USDA Zone 6
Designman is on a distinguished road
Landscape lighting

Not sure i would use romex for my landscape lighting, i believe 12/2 lanscape lighting wire is cheaper and a heck of alot easier to work with. Plus when you have to bump up to #10awg. or even #8 awg.for the extra wattage or distance you wont use romex.

Tags
interlocking pavestone , lighting , low-voltage , outdoor