Ground Trades Xchange - a landscaping forum

Go Back   Ground Trades Xchange - a landscaping forum > Landscape Services > Homeowner Help
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2011, 11:40 AM
Acorn

USDA Zone 8
lriker is on a distinguished road
proper sub base for paver patio

Starting a patio project in Northeast, NY, area and looking for info on proper sub base material. Will have a 7 oz geotextile fabric between sub base and the ground. The sub base material that a friend dropped of is a mixture of stone, 1 inch the largest, and what looks like dirt. He owns a landscaping business and this is what he uses. Most of what i have read I see 3/4 crushed stone used for sub base material. Will this product be suitable or do I need to go with crushed stone instead? Thanks
Old 10-03-2011, 06:10 PM
Administrator

USDA Zone 4
Stonehenge will become famous soon enough
It's gonna depend on what you have locally. In more northern parts of Wisconsin (where I am) they don't have crushed limestone easily available, and usually use something they call "road base", which is a mix of 1" stone (non-angular, more rounded) down to sand, all quarried from the local sand pits.

For the projects we used it on, it seemed to hold up ok, but admittedly, once we left those job sites we never returned unless there was a callback, and there's never been one. So take that with a grain of salt.

But you can always call your local paver suppliers and ask them what they recommend - that's where I'd start.

How would you like some free trade magazines?

Landscaping Appleton, Neenah and Wisconsin's Fox Valley

The Dirt - my blog about running a landscaping business.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:39 PM
Gold Oak Member

USDA Zone 8
stonecutter will become famous soon enough
What you have is called process or crusher run. It will work as a sub-base just be sure you compact in 6" lifts or you will get settlement. It does not drain as well as crushed stone because of the fines, so a pitch and or a drain line would be a good idea.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:44 PM
Gold Oak Member

USDA Zone 8
stonecutter will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehenge View Post
It's gonna depend on what you have locally. In more northern parts of Wisconsin (where I am) they don't have crushed limestone easily available, and usually use something they call "road base", which is a mix of 1" stone (non-angular, more rounded) down to sand, all quarried from the local sand pits.

For the projects we used it on, it seemed to hold up ok, but admittedly, once we left those job sites we never returned unless there was a callback, and there's never been one. So take that with a grain of salt.

But you can always call your local paver supplers and ask them what they recommend - that's where I'd start.
Interestingly, I was reading recently about negative effects of using crushed limestone as base material. It seems that over time it caused damage to the pavers. I have never used crushed limestone base and this was the first time I heard this.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:48 PM
Acorn

USDA Zone 8
lriker is on a distinguished road
pics of the sub base material

here are some pictures of the material I spoke about. My local masonry and paver store said that item 4 is most common in my area. Thanks for the help.
Attached Thumbnails
proper sub base for paver patio-104-100.jpg   proper sub base for paver patio-104-101.jpg   proper sub base for paver patio-104-102.jpg