Ground Trades Xchange - a landscaping forum

Go Back   Ground Trades Xchange - a landscaping forum > Landscape Services > Hardscaping
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2010, 03:36 PM
Acorn

USDA Zone 9
Mitchell Landscapes is on a distinguished road
What type of mortar is best for stonework

Sorry posted this first in the wrong category -

Done lots of dry stacked stone work and only a few mortar jobs - Any thoughts on the best type of mortar to use with mortar set stones? Type N? TypeS? favorite recipe of sand, portland and lime? any difference between doing flat work (vineer) versus full stone construction? Any input would be appreciated.
Dale@mitchelllandscapes.com
Old 05-08-2010, 08:32 PM
Wise Old Oak

USDA Zone 8
Fine Edge is just really nice Fine Edge is just really nice Fine Edge is just really nice Fine Edge is just really nice Fine Edge is just really nice
We use type S and never have a problem.

Twitter: @FineEdgeDesign
Old 05-08-2010, 08:47 PM
Gold Oak Member

USDA
Squizzy Taylor is on a distinguished road
Our mortar standard system over here is a little different but our mix for stonework is 1.1.6 (OPC.Hydrated Lime.Sand) however for really fine work or restoration its more often 1.2.7 with the lime being lime putty. It depends a little on the application.

There is absolutely no point the mortar being stronger than the stone. The addition of lime will tend to make the mortar more workable, stickier for better adhesion and more breathable. When building a mortared wall I'm always trying to make the stonework just like in dry-stack, such that if the mortar wasn't there the wall would still do its job.

Be very careful of those "brickies" cements claiming to already have lime added. They tend to produce strong brittle mortars and in our hot dry climate you get lots of shrinkage cracks. This is because the stronger mortars retain more moisture...or rather release it slower.

For adhering veneers I will use a stronger mix...it depends on the type of stone...and more often than not tile glues are being used these days.

Three essentials to happiness in life are something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:10 PM
Gold Oak Member

USDA Zone 5
johnkeegan will become famous soon enough
Quote:
For adhering veneers I will use a stronger mix...it depends on the type of stone...and more often than not tile glues are being used these days.
I'm mostly experienced with dry laid walls, as well. But I've often wondered why not just use adhesive on the veneer work if you are working with a consistant (not irregular) foundation.

We can get most any stone in a venneer form now (I'm talking "real" stone not "pseudo-stone").. with premade corners etc. ... So it would seem easier to just use adhesive, especially if you wanted a "dry laid look."
Old 05-09-2010, 08:02 PM
Seedling

USDA Zone 6
mountainx is on a distinguished road
I've had some masons tell me they use type N for veneer work because it's supposed to be 'stickier'. We have used both types for multiple applications and had no issues.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:49 PM
Gold Oak Member

USDA
Squizzy Taylor is on a distinguished road
This what I use for sandstone cladding and water features:

ParexDavco: Australia

Three essentials to happiness in life are something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:03 PM
Seedling

USDA Zone 5
mybigdog1 is on a distinguished road
If its a small area try using thin set with a fortifier it works great and is real sticky, Type N also is sticky as said before and a lot cheaper than thin set. Type s can be used but is a lot harder to work with
Old 05-10-2010, 06:42 PM
Gold Oak Member

USDA Zone 8
natural12 is on a distinguished road
Type S. Flat work 3:1. Veneer if we need it a little stickier a little less sand or add some portland. Portland helps the mortar set up a little quicker.