Ground Trades Xchange - a landscaping forum

Go Back   Ground Trades Xchange - a landscaping forum > Landscape Services > Hardscaping
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2009, 05:51 PM
Acorn

USDA Zone 8
lilredflatbed is on a distinguished road
Newb Q's on Paver Patio

Ive doen some searching around your site as well as google.

Im building a paver patio of course and am seeing problems before I have finished laying all of the pavers.

One thing I have learned from your site so far:
The use of a geotextile under the paver base. I havnt done this in the past and havnt seen it done before at some of the other companies Ive worked for. In fact the last patio I completed is still level and straight even after 3 years of of exposure.

First question:
What is the main purpose/advantage to the use of this fabric? I have only seen it used on retaining walls...

My main situation:

Im using Belgards Bergerac 4pc combo for the patio. It is 280 sqft, one half round step coming off the house (Weston Wall, Celtik Coping Modules) and 2 stairs with walls on each side coming down to the driveway (same materials as above).

We were about 3/4 of the way finished laying the pavers when we realized we were shorted on stone. During my three day wait to get the remaining amount of stone we had some rain. My sand base was laid, but I had not started sanding the joints.

I come back today and the patio is off in several places up to a quarter of an inch. I know my gravel base is good and tight, I used #53 stone with lime and plate compacted in 2 inch layers.

Would not having the joints filled let the patio move with the rain that we had? Basically, why would the patio do this?

Ive never had any problem like this, I havnt done anything different on this patio that the other ones. I need to get this one done so I can move on to the next project but at the same time I want to take my time and ensure this patio is going to withstand the test of time. My customer needs to know that they are getting what they are paying for and their expense was well worth it.

PLease help.

Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated. I thank you for any input in advance.

Marshall
Old 07-23-2009, 09:03 PM
Seedling

USDA Zone 5
mybigdog1 is on a distinguished road
assuning there has been no washout of sand layer. normal compaction of the pavers should correct the problem
Old 07-23-2009, 10:56 PM
Acorn

USDA Zone 8
Ok, thank you. I was wondering the same thing, at the same time i was worried that compacting them would make it worse. The rest of the block was delivered this morning so I should be over to finishit up tomorrow. Worse case scenario Ive got enough buffer in my profit margin if I have to come back and spend a day redoing my sand work and relaying the pavers.

Thanks once again!
Marshall
Old 08-03-2009, 03:53 AM
plazake

USDA
Thanks for replying, everyone. It appears we have a decent cross-section of people here and a lot of well thought-out discussion.

Last edited by Stonehenge; 08-03-2009 at 09:03 AM.. Reason: It also appears we have a spammer. Say goobye, spammer.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:11 PM
Acorn

USDA Zone 8
Well thanks for your reply. I did finish the job a couple of days after this post. Everything turned out ok besides losing the landscape part of the contract due to the homeowners budget. The main thing is I stayed within my profit margins and made good money, the customer is happy with their patio, and Ill have good referals from them to other customers.

Maybe on my next questions, whenever I may have them, we'll get some better response. : )

Thanks again,
Marshall
Old 08-04-2009, 05:17 PM
Gold Oak Member

USDA Zone 5
4seasons is on a distinguished road
Main purpose of the geo fabric is to keep your base material from integrating with the soil.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:39 PM
Acorn

USDA Zone 8
That makes good sense. I will definately do that on the next one. How about putting a layer between the gravel base and sand?
Old 08-06-2009, 04:44 PM
Gold Oak Member

USDA Zone 5
4seasons is on a distinguished road
some people do. I personally don't, reason why is we used crushed limestone (4/11) and its so hard and solid when done compacting i dont think the sand will go through it. Thats just me though................
Old 08-07-2009, 12:10 AM
Acorn

USDA Zone 8
Ya I use the same material crushed 53's with 40% lime powder. Wet it lightly before final compacting and the stuff is like concrete.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:47 PM
Sapling

USDA Zone 5
Keith N is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredflatbed View Post
That makes good sense. I will definately do that on the next one. How about putting a layer between the gravel base and sand?
As 4Season's said, but we only use fabric for the sand anywhere you might think it will escape.
"We bring life to your backyard"

You might like the following content from the Ground Trades Xchange, served by Google: