Ground Trades Xchange - a landscaping forum

Go Back   Ground Trades Xchange - a landscaping forum > Landscape Services > Hardscaping
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2003, 05:06 PM
Administrator

USDA Zone 4
Stonehenge will become famous soon enough
Loving the masonry!!

Here's a pic of the work we're doing on our house. The guy on the scaffolding is our foreman who used to be a mason. I have to say that I really like the look of this stuff, and want to make an effort to market this offering next spring. Hopefully it can take the place of some of the lawn seedings we do.
Attached Thumbnails
Loving the masonry!!-pict0602b.jpg  
Old 10-10-2003, 09:07 PM
GTX Advisor

USDA Zone 5
Paul is on a distinguished road
Nice looking work, sounds like a construction company is going to start up. You looking to start a general contracting company? Or are you going to just stick to masonry?

By the way how did you find time for you to break a couple of guys loose?
Old 10-10-2003, 11:32 PM
Administrator

USDA Zone 4
My poor planning during my move is what had me find the time to have them work on this...diggers hotline hadn't been called on the next 3 projects yet, so this gave them some time to do something while we waited for utility markings.

No construction company...just want to get into more masonry. Opens up more hardscape design possibilities, and offers the chance of non-plowing winter work.
Old 10-15-2003, 02:10 PM
Sapling

USDA
Tim is an unknown quantity at this point
S.H. Just curious on how much it would cost for material to do something like this, and how I could come up with an approximate square footage amount to do this?

I have been contemplating doing this to an old Victorian house's exterior foundation to get away from having to tuck point it all the time. Not to mention that I think it will really highlight the buildings era and be pleasing to the eye. Tim
Old 10-15-2003, 02:23 PM
Administrator

USDA Zone 4
That's a really good question....the materials were included with the house. They had everything on site, and had commented that they were having trouble finding the time to do it. Rather than having them slap it up, and seeing the chance to get some practive in that kind of work for my guys, I'd figured we'd write the offer with us doing the masonry. As for the install cost, from the input I've received and the manhours I've been seeing, we'd charge between $10-14 per sqft, plus the cost of the materials.
Old 10-15-2003, 03:00 PM
Sapling

USDA
Quote:
Originally posted by Stonehenge
[B]That's a really good question....the materials were included with the house.
Did they furnish the mortar? What type would you recommend for the app I am thinking about? $10-$14 still seems appealing verses always tuck pointing every year! Tim
Old 10-15-2003, 04:16 PM
Administrator

USDA Zone 4
They furnished some of the mortar - we used what they provided as the scratch coat, and used Western brand Type M mortar mix.
Old 10-15-2003, 04:33 PM
Sapling

USDA
Would I have any other prep to get this to bond to old, existing tuck point materials besides power washing? Tim
Old 10-15-2003, 06:11 PM
Administrator

USDA Zone 4
Hmmm..... Let me ask my mason and I'll tell you what he tells me.
Old 12-02-2003, 04:36 AM
Administrator

USDA Zone 4
I forgot all about this thread Tim!!

He didn't sound 100% sure with the info I provided, but powerwashing, maybe an acid wash would help.

And this is just from me - I wouldn't mind seeing a cutoff saw mark up the existing surface, to also give the mortar something more to bite into.
Old 12-02-2003, 09:12 AM
5 Gallon Tree

USDA
Will Pacala is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice work. That stile and brick is big around here. I don't think any landscapers do it though, probably a good thing to get into especially if you've already got the guy for it.
Old 12-02-2003, 09:48 AM
Sapling

USDA
Thanks for finding this back S.H. As many things, this is a project designed to rob my fishing time next Spring! I think I like your idea of scoring the existing for a better bite. Thanks! Tim
Old 12-02-2003, 10:50 AM
Gold Oak Member

USDA
Bill Schwab is an unknown quantity at this point
Jeff:

check out www.eldoradostone.com. We install many block walls faced with this stuff, cost wise, it runs between 5 and up to $9 a square foot. Labor costs are between $12 and over $20.00 a square foot, depending on product. Sometimes, when a person wants ledge stone mixed with chunks or rubble, it gets labor intensive. We keep 4" grinders at each masons side so they can wing off any pieces that don't fit well, as most of this is the dry stacked look, no motar between pieces. Maybe if Santa brings me a digital camera with 12 mega pixels and interchangable lenses I can take some photos of this stuff for you to see...

The house looks great, we are thinking of doing that to the face of ours, after we put in new windows...

Encinitas, Ca. 92024

www.naturescapelandscape.com

Old 12-02-2003, 04:40 PM
5 Gallon Tree

USDA
Will Pacala is an unknown quantity at this point
Some nice work on that site. Thanks for the link.
Old 12-02-2003, 05:02 PM
Seedling

USDA
CountyMaterials is an unknown quantity at this point
Jeff, trying hard to not be biased, but also check out http://www.culturedstone.com. Cultured Stone and Eldarado are the 2 best companies out there right now. All the rest you can just tell that they are fake even just by driving by. And by trying not to be biased it is because we sell Cultured Stone. Maybe this will help, so does Zillges in Oshkosh, Darboy and Fox Valley Stone and Brick.

On a side note, talk to your mason if he has laid up real stone thin veneer. The materials cost more as it is real, but because it 's thin you do not need any reinforcing like a full veneer. Also, masons are finding that it installs faster than the fake stuff (officially called cast stone). It goes fast specifically when finishing up the projects. With cast stone you have try to find the right size pieces to place in, but with the real stone you just "break" it to size and go at it. You dont have to deal with chipped pieces not looking right, cause it is the real thing. Again, without being biased, we sell the real thin veneer too, but so does Buechel Stone.

Any questions, let me know.

You might like the following content from the Ground Trades Xchange, served by Google: