Ground Trades Xchange - a landscaping forum

Go Back   Ground Trades Xchange - a landscaping forum > Landscape Services > Hardscaping
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2008, 03:32 PM
Acorn

USDA Zone 5
Jpdst29 is on a distinguished road
best way to cut curves...opinions...

i used to always cut curves by setting my curved soldier course...laying my pavers to it and then filling in the pieces by cutting them on a wet saw.

my problem is that you are cutting a straight line on the paver that is supposed to go along a curve so if it is a long cut on the paver it looks stupid or just plain bad because it doesnt meld nicely...even when filled in with poly sand.

is there a way around this...i have heard of guys cutting curves with their cutoff saws while the pavers are already laid. does anybody do this here? and if so...how has it worked out for you. i would think by applying pressure to certain parts of one paver while cutting this way they would have a tendency to be sunk into the screed bed.

any opinions...
Old 07-09-2008, 04:05 PM
Administrator

USDA Zone 4
Stonehenge will become famous soon enough
We've done it that way for 5 or more years. And yeah, we often end up cutting into the base by up to an inch, but put a soldier course in and compact it and everything turns out fine. You'll save loads of time and have a better looking project. Good luck.

How would you like some free trade magazines?

Landscaping Appleton, Neenah and Wisconsin's Fox Valley

The Dirt - my blog about running a landscaping business.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:08 PM

USDA Zone 5
dan deutekom will become famous soon enough
I have done it the way Jeff has done it for as long as I can remember. Also use the smallest blade that you can on your saw. This makes it easier to cut tighter curves. I don't remember the last time I used a wet saw. Ours has been sitting in a back shed rusting away for over 20 years.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Beer in one hand - Nacho's in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming : Woo Hoo, what a ride!

Old 07-09-2008, 07:42 PM
Administrator

USDA Zone 4
That's funny - we needed some perfectly straight cuts on some block to make an outdoor fireplace and pulled out both of our tub saws - one hadn't been run in 4-5 years. (But it did start on the first pull!)

Old 09-09-2008, 10:11 PM
Seedling

USDA Zone 5
eastern1 is on a distinguished road
Cuts are best made with marking out your soldier first, bringing to a table saw (pieces are cut on 90deg instead of angled. Then back to patio or walkway and place soldier. We have mastered this technique years ago.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:33 PM
Administrator

USDA Zone 4
eastern1 - that's great if productivity is not an issue. You are likely taking 3-4X the amount of time it takes us to do the same project. I know because we did it that way for a short while.

And you'll have a hard time convincing me that a 5 degree angle to a cut paver is going to affect anything with that pavement.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:45 PM
Seedling

USDA Zone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehenge View Post
eastern1 - that's great if productivity is not an issue. You are likely taking 3-4X the amount of time it takes us to do the same project. I know because we did it that way for a short while.

And you'll have a hard time convincing me that a 5 degree angle to a cut paver is going to affect anything with that pavement.
3 to 4 times as long I doubt my friend, by the time you set up and cut then regrade your base with a trowel and clean that crap all over the place I'm sipping on a mojito. Mabye not sippin but I've tried your way also and my way is just as quick and my back ain't sore. My cuts are 5 deg. straighter than yours I guess.
Old 09-13-2008, 03:10 AM
Gold Oak Member

USDA Zone 8
Euroscapes is on a distinguished road
My brother and I just started cutting with the pavers on the base on our last job, and wow not to mention the time it saved us, but the lines are so much cleaner now, we won't be cutting any other way now.

-Cameron

Landscaping Coquitlam, and throughout the lower mainland of British Columbia
Old 09-13-2008, 08:26 AM
Administrator

USDA Zone 4
eastern - I've done both ways for years, so I have a pretty good handle on what works for us. If it doesn't for you, do your thing. But "cuts are best made" is something each contractor should decide for him or herself.

@euro - I forgot about that, too. Curved lines are perfect, not a hibbedy-dibbedy rollercoaster ride.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:40 PM
Acorn

USDA Zone 5
muddy waters is on a distinguished road
I also cut the pavers after laying. Having done both, I really can't see the reason for a tub saw any more. To each their own I guess.

A good tip I learned is to run your blade throught the joint between the cut field brick and the soldier course prior to tamping. I creates a nice smooth joint and prevents the edge of the field brick from chipping off during tamp(assuming you cut in on an angle like I do). This is especially useful when using "clean" looking products (ie non-tumbled).
Old 09-13-2008, 09:58 PM
Seedling

USDA Zone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euroscapes View Post
My brother and I just started cutting with the pavers on the base on our last job, and wow not to mention the time it saved us, but the lines are so much cleaner now, we won't be cutting any other way now.

-Cameron
Your lines are cleaner now because you weren't doing it right the other way, its all in the set up of the curves.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:57 AM
Gold Oak Member

USDA Zone 5
Tanner is an unknown quantity at this point
To each his/her own

We cut everything on the ground with a quick cut. The only time we take out our table saws are for step and wall caps and for bullnose coping around pools. We've done it both ways but cutting on the ground you can really get a nice round cut and in a quarter of the time. We have three installation crews and everyone is left to work in their own way but they all chose this method.

T.
Old 09-14-2008, 12:00 PM
Seedling

USDA Zone 5
It may be faster, but man who really wants to breathe that poison, don't you guys care about your health? We would be fined by ministry of labour for producing toxic fumes.
Old 09-14-2008, 04:59 PM
Sapling

USDA Zone 10
zullo-design is on a distinguished road
I usually just use my radius point and my tape scribe a light line on my curve with a pencil then use the cut off saw to scribe it and then just have a guy bring me the marked pavers piece by piece (by the time Im done cutting he's back with the next piece). unless the radius is large enough to make it without removing the pieces, most outside curves are but the insides I prefer to cut outside. either way scribing it with the saw ensures that all the corners line up and the cut looks curved.

www.ZULLO-DESIGN.com
Old 09-14-2008, 06:31 PM
Seedling

USDA Zone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by zullo-design View Post
I usually just use my radius point and my tape scribe a light line on my curve with a pencil then use the cut off saw to scribe it and then just have a guy bring me the marked pavers piece by piece (by the time Im done cutting he's back with the next piece). unless the radius is large enough to make it without removing the pieces, most outside curves are but the insides I prefer to cut outside. either way scribing it with the saw ensures that all the corners line up and the cut looks curved.
Exactly but we take it a step further, the guy brings 5 or 6 at a time and puts them back. Its a constant flow, I get a third guy to go behind and lay the soldier or soldiers if there is an offset border and then he does the restraint. Its like clockwork.