Ground Trades Xchange - a landscaping forum

Go Back   Ground Trades Xchange - a landscaping forum > Landscape Services > Hardscaping
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2008, 08:31 PM
Acorn

USDA Zone 5
fireisiah is on a distinguished road
hilti cut-off saws

just wondering if anyone here has any experience with a hilti ds hs64 14" saw? grabbed one on sale the other day for $800 but before i use it i want to make sure its a good unit.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:47 AM
Acorn

USDA Zone 10
bladerunner is on a distinguished road
hilti

What's the warranty on that saw, 90 days? Where do you get them serviced locally? How easy is it to get the little things you do yourself; filters,plugs, belts etc. Keep these questions in mind before you run it.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:05 PM
Gold Oak Member

USDA Zone 5
VoodooChile will become famous soon enough VoodooChile will become famous soon enough
Bladerunner asks the right questions.

Also, you should also try a search on GTX with keywords like "cut-off saws" and/or "hilti". Probably take an hour to read through all the threads.

Partner and Stihl seem like the #1 and #2 cut-off saws out there. We run 2 Stihl TS-400s, which cost about the same as your new "hilti". $800 four years ago, $949 last September. No serious problems with either.

Some people- including some great GTXers- hate Stihls but we like them because

1) Stihl has a intensive mid-Western dealer network, meaning the parts I need are in stock and 10 minutes away, and if they don't have them the dealer in the next town over 20 minutes away does.

2) Stihl's starting procedure is consistent across equipment, meaning once I've trained a guy on the procedure to start a blower, they also know how to start our cut-off saws, our weed whippers, and our chainsaws.

No matter what brand you go with, regular maintenance on a cut-off saw is essential. The pre-filter should be blown out daily or weekly depending on whether you are cutting dry or wet. Consistent plug replacement will save you a couple hours labor cost by the end of a season, time saved from the guys not having to yank the crap out of the saw to start it. Of course, your fuel should be fresh, and dispensed from a (relatively) clean gas can. It is probably worth the extra change to buy the manufacturer's proprietary fuel mix. The paper air filter and the fuel filter need replacing about once a season. Worn blades will strain the saw and slow cutting-time, and should be replaced depending on quality and use.

Good Luck!
Old 03-27-2008, 04:51 PM
Administrator

USDA Zone 4
Stonehenge will become famous soon enough
While I prefer the power and usability of our Partner saws, it's hard for me to say something bad about the Stihl TS400 we ran. We ran it for a decade, then sold it on eBay for $300. I think it was $700 new. And we didn't take as good care of it as it sounds like Voodoo does.

Re: Hilti - I believe it's still a private label saw, meaning some other company makes it for Hilti and 2 or 3 other companies, and just uses a different color plastic or stickers depending on which company it's being built for. Doesn't mean it's bad. Just that it's not really a "Hilti." Take a look here for a bit more info: Private Label Cutoff Saws

But most importantly - consider what bladerunner said. A great saw that you can't get replacement parts for is an $800 paperweight.

You might like the following content from the Ground Trades Xchange, served by Google: