Ground Trades Xchange - a landscaping forum

Go Back   Ground Trades Xchange - a landscaping forum > Landscape Services > Hardscaping
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2007, 06:17 PM
Whip

USDA Zone 8
secondnature is on a distinguished road
Driveway/Sidewalk and Permits

Hey installer guys (and gals)!

I am designing a parking strip/driveway/sidewalk replacement and I am looking into permits with the city to do so.

Is this normally something the homeowner has to take out, or is the contractor typically the one to do this?

Thanks!
Old 12-10-2007, 06:54 PM
Gold Oak Member

USDA Zone 7
Matt Kulp is on a distinguished road
If you are talking about the permits, then it could go either way. We usually take care of all the permits on our jobs for a couple of reasons. If there are any inspections needed and/or special drawings needed, then it is much easier to communicate directly with the persons making the decision. There is nothing more annoying then starting a job and having a inspector or city rep stopping by and shutting down the job because the proper information was not submitted. I would just build the cost of the permit and all associated time on your part into the job and make sure to point out to the customer that you have it included. This will make the client more comfortable with you knowing that you have everything under control, as well as a sense of relief that they do have to deal with it.

Lastly, it is always good to know your zoning or building inspectors in the places you work. You will be surprised on how easy they will go on you if they know you follow the rules and you have some track record with doing work in there community. They really like to throw their weight around if a contractor tries to cut corners and do not follow the rules. And, once you have a bad reputation with the governing bodies it is really hard to get on there good side. Plus, we have also received referrals from zoning officials in the past because of relationship we have built with them over the years.

We installed a retaining wall last year in an area that we did not work in before and had the homeowner pull the permits. Well, the 4th day into the job the inspector stops by the job and shut us down for 1 week for not having permits. The customer told us they had them, but I never requested to see them. Well...the customer forgot to send in all the paperwork that I prepared for the job. It ended up costing him an additional $800 for mobilization cost and rental fees on equipment sitting around. Also, the inspector told us we should have made sure the paperwork was turned in, and "disciplined" us with a week shutdown. It was a lesson learned!
Old 12-10-2007, 07:22 PM
Whip

USDA Zone 8
Thanks matt!

The contractor asked me to look into it for him.....as the designer I have created a drawing already, but we are not sure if they are spec'd correctly to what they required.

Thanks!
Old 12-12-2007, 05:48 PM
Acorn

USDA
tom is an unknown quantity at this point
Definitely check with local building codes as well. If the sidewalk is city property, we have to be a licensed Right Of Way contractor. They might also have design specs for max. distances and slope where the sidewalk meets the end of the driveway.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:16 PM
Seedling

USDA Zone 6
schleng is an unknown quantity at this point
I feel since the contractor is responsible for the actual work, it is his responsibility to pull the permits.

Susan
Old 12-15-2007, 08:26 PM
Whip

USDA Zone 8
Permit

Thanks everyone! Good points on the permit process.

By the way, the contractor is doing the permits afterall.

It is his job!

K

You might like the following content from the Ground Trades Xchange, served by Google: