Ground Trades Xchange - a landscaping forum

Go Back   Ground Trades Xchange - a landscaping forum > Landscape Services > Hardscaping
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2007, 10:59 PM
5 Gallon Tree

USDA Zone 7
Greensmith is on a distinguished road
Stream under bridge pipe needs screen

I have a client with a small stream that floods heavily during rain. Unfortunately the only exit point for it is a small 10 inch pipe that runs under a bridge. It frequently gets clogged with twigs and branches.

There is currently a makeshift chickenwire box around the pipe to keep the debris out of the pipe. There has to be a better and easier to clean implement out there. Anyone have a source for this? I am gonna try and take a picture if its needed.

I tried NDSpro and the usual but came up empty.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:48 AM
Seedling

USDA Zone 6
Malrex is on a distinguished road
Most times, people install too small of a pipe or culvert for the bankfull stream discharge. I would be very interested in a picture if you can get around to it.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:29 AM
Shade Tree

USDA Zone 5
Pelican is on a distinguished road
I'm waiting for pictures too. I've got quite a bit of experience in water control.

God, Guns & Guts made America Free!
What this world needs is a few more Rednecks!...

And we vowed to get the ones behind Bin Laden, have you forgotten? Darryl Worley

Visit HeavyEquipmentForums.com

myspace
Old 03-18-2008, 08:55 PM
5 Gallon Tree

USDA Zone 7
Sorry for the delay, the customer called me again. Seems she is flush full of cash from IRS refund or something. Anyway after the large amount of rain we have had lately she wants to pursue this again. I have attached three pictures I took last year. Right now I am thinking of some kind of flip up screen with a concrete basin around the inlet to make it easier to clean out.

If anyone knows of a pre-form or something better then this let me know please!

Old 03-18-2008, 09:26 PM
Whip

USDA Zone 6
jshilan is on a distinguished road
Drain Pain

How long is the pipe and how big of an area are you working with? Can you just remove the pipe and install something larger? It seems like the pipe is undersized for the larger storms.

Can you lose the pipe entirely and just cut the grade to create a deep swale?

Any type of screen that you install will block the debris at the entrance which will keep the pipe from clogging, but it still won't resolve the situation. Even if you clear the debris weekly you still run the risk of blockage during a storm.

If you have a picture that can give more of an overview of the situation, that would help a lot.

Other questions:
Is it machine accessible?
Do you have any equipment?

See if you can provide a little more info and I'm sure someone can help.

Jody Shilan

"Make your home, your vacation home!"
Old 03-19-2008, 11:21 AM
GTX Advisor

USDA Zone 5
Paul is on a distinguished road
It's hard to tell if that pipe is really any good. Lots of rust and the end looks torn. But if you can get around the pipe you can install a flared end section and a steel grate to cover the pipe. Total cost for a 10: pipe should be about $150.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:20 PM
B&B Tree

USDA Zone 7
NCSULandscaper will become famous soon enough
how about a picture of the whole area............i think the whole thing needs to be replaced with atleast a 24" pipe, double walled if the money is there for everything to slide through, get a 20' section of poly for around $350

NC Registered Landscape Contractor #1862
NC Certified Plant Professional
NC Licensed Pesticide Applicator
NC Certified Nurseryman
Old 03-19-2008, 09:13 PM
5 Gallon Tree

USDA Zone 7
I am meeting the client in the next week, I will try and take a long view picture. Its a small stream that during heavier rains will reach 2 feet deep. The entire stream is probably 600' long. As it collects between two neighbor yards it will fill pretty quick.

The pipe goes about 20' then underneath a bridged roadway then into a storm drainage system.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:06 PM
Seedling

USDA Zone 7
Paydaze7 is an unknown quantity at this point
dont forget the tetnus shot, lol..
Old 03-20-2008, 07:13 PM
Acorn

USDA Zone 6
PLC-Landscape is an unknown quantity at this point
I noticed water seems to be sitting in the pipe. It could be that it's not pitched properly. A pipe of that size should be able to move quite a bit of water, but if the pitch isn't enough, water slowly flows instead of really moving out causing a stream-like effect which would possibly cause a back-up under heavy rain flow.....
Old 03-21-2008, 02:36 AM
Seedling

USDA Zone 6
Malrex is on a distinguished road
Judging from the picture, and as some have mentioned..that pipe just looks in bad shape. Not sure what kind of road goes over it (paved, gravel, etc.) but I would look into a "rolling dip" (or swale) in the road--basically a wet crossing. If that is not an option, then a larger pipe needs to be installed.

If your client just wants a better debris catcher, I would explain that solution as being a band-aid for the problem. I got a good book--I'll look through it when I have more time to see if there are some good ideas for a debris catcher, but from what I see so far, I wouldn't recommend it.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:08 PM
Shade Tree

USDA Zone 5
Pelican is on a distinguished road
The pipe is shot, the whole bottom is rotted away. If traffic passes over it it's only a matter of time before it collapses. Another thing that can happen is erosion will occur since the bottom of the pipe is missing, also causing collapse.

I don't recommend any screening on the end of the pipe, the key is to install a pipe large enough to allow debris to pass through. If you put a screen on, yes it will trap debris, which will obstruct the flow of water. This water will eventually back up to the point of crossing over the roadway and very possibly washing out the road. I've replaced several 36" culverts where this has happened. I'd also recommend to your client that they monitor the stream during heavy rains to keep the pipe clear so it does not wash out.

God, Guns & Guts made America Free!
What this world needs is a few more Rednecks!...

And we vowed to get the ones behind Bin Laden, have you forgotten? Darryl Worley

Visit HeavyEquipmentForums.com

myspace

You might like the following content from the Ground Trades Xchange, served by Google: