Ground Trades Xchange - a landscaping forum

Go Back   Ground Trades Xchange - a landscaping forum > Landscape Services > Hardscaping
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2004, 12:51 PM
Sapling

USDA Zone 5
fakie99 is on a distinguished road
Raised Patio Drainage

first of all - great website. i'm impressed by the wealth of very spcific project knowledge.... i am wondering what most of you do for drainage in a raised patio. although it's standard practice to run flexpipe behind a segmental retainnig wall, do you also run drainage when using segmetal retaining walls in raised patios? seems like they'd be unnecessary, but cheap insurance. any thoughts?

Treasured Earth LLC
South Lyon, Michigan
http://www.treasured-earth.com
Old 08-12-2004, 05:49 PM
Shade Tree

USDA Zone 5
Pelican is on a distinguished road
Welcome to GTX!

It's been my experience that clear stone is especially necessary behind raised patios. I've been back to repair some that have moved from frost even with the stone in place, I've seen others that haven't used it nearly fall over. This past season we had an exceptionally long cold spell that moved a few things that have been in place for a number of years.

God, Guns & Guts made America Free!
What this world needs is a few more Rednecks!...

And we vowed to get the ones behind Bin Laden, have you forgotten? Darryl Worley

Visit HeavyEquipmentForums.com

myspace
Old 08-22-2004, 11:25 AM
Sapling

USDA Zone 5
fakie99 is on a distinguished road
no one has any other raised patio drainage input?
Old 08-22-2004, 12:13 PM
Gold Oak Member

USDA
Bill Schwab is an unknown quantity at this point
We used to create a 4 sided "box" using SRW materials, usually from UNILOCK. The center fill was CA-6, compacted in 2" lifts. Then on the outer 1' around the infill directly behind the retaining wall, we used 3/4" hard sided washed stone. To keep it separate, we took a sheet of 1/4" steel, and bolted handles on the top upper edge. A piece of fabric was placed at the bottom of the washed stone course. As the two types of gravel filled the inner parts of the patio, we took the skidsteer and pulled the steel. On raised patios where elevation went over 24", geo grid was used every other course and we wrapped the wash stone in it's own cells to allow water to drain.

We did not use any piping, but probably should have .

In this neck of the woods, the few raised patios we have done have had the toe of the outer wall on the center of a slope. Engineering has had to be used to make these come together, which, includes an up to date soils report, geotechnical data, and, a stamped drawing from a licensed engineer. We have 5 different soil types here, and, in rare occasions, there can be all 5 on one property.

90% of the time, the footing of the walls are set on concrete rather than gravel, and that footing is 18" below grade and 3' into the earth. If you pour footings for SRW's you need to be very careful that you finish the concrete as though you were walking on it daily. If there are bumps and dips in the concrete, the wall will just follow the curves.

Costs on raised patios have really gotten stoopid because of all the steps people have to take to get them approved.

Encinitas, Ca. 92024

www.naturescapelandscape.com

Old 08-22-2004, 06:32 PM
Whip

USDA Zone 11
Rex Mann is on a distinguished road
This week I am attending the ICPI Summer meetings in Vancouver. Construction methodology for raised patios is on the
Construction Committee agenda. I'll pass on any information I acquire at the meeting on this particular area.

Peace,

Rex

Sandiegopavers.com

Pavers Installed Company

http://PaversInstalled.Com

Follow us on Twitter @PaversInstalled