Ground Trades Xchange - a landscaping forum

Go Back   Ground Trades Xchange - a landscaping forum > Landscape Services > Hardscaping
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2004, 06:12 PM
Acorn

USDA Zone 5
MWM is an unknown quantity at this point
Inserts in Pavers

We are getting ready to start a project where we need to install a 24" round "Memorial Medallion" into a paver walkway. The medallion is approximately 1" thick. I'm looking for options for securing the medallion so someone can't simply pick it up and go. Bring on the experience of the masses!
Old 04-07-2004, 07:11 PM
Gold Oak Member

USDA
Bill Schwab is an unknown quantity at this point
Lay the pavers. Then set the medalion in the spot where it goes. Cut the pavers. Then, remove an area 3'x3'. Excavate down 6". Pour a slab and brush finish it so the top of the slab is even with the bottom of the medalion.
Lay the pavers back, but you will have to cut the pavers at the hieght you need to bond to the concrete. Bond them to the concrete.
Then apply goober goop (paver bond) or use epoxy to the top of the concrete where the medallion goes.

To keep the medalion shiney, use two part acrylic and dump over the top, let dry.

Works fairly well.

Encinitas, Ca. 92024

www.naturescapelandscape.com

Old 04-07-2004, 08:08 PM
Acorn

USDA Zone 5
Thanks Bill.
I follow that except for " you will have to cut the pavers at the height you need to bond to the concrete". Are you saying to shave them down to the thickness of the medallion?
Old 04-07-2004, 08:12 PM

USDA Zone 5
dan deutekom will become famous soon enough
I think Bill has got it the right way. I might do it a little different by making a form for the concrete the same size as the medallion and making it a lot thicker but the long and short of it is that you glue it to a heavy concrete chunk underneath. It won't disappear if you do that.

(Excuse the spacing. Silled a Coke on the keyboard yesterday and the space bar is sticking )
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Beer in one hand - Nacho's in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming : Woo Hoo, what a ride!

Old 04-07-2004, 08:15 PM
Acorn

USDA Zone 5
Thanks for the help guys. Mission accomplished.
Old 04-09-2004, 08:16 AM
GTX Advisor

USDA Zone 5
Paul is on a distinguished road
Having done lots of inserts like this we don't have much of a problem with people "walking off with them". In fact we have never had one grow legs and leave the job. We just install them like a paver. The real secret is to cut the stone in with very close tolerances, if they can't get under it they can't remove it.
Old 04-09-2004, 08:39 AM
Administrator

USDA Zone 4
Stonehenge will become famous soon enough
We haven't done too many, but with a 1" think stone that's 24" round, I'd be worried about breakage if it was anything other than a pedestrian pavement. Since that's what this is, I think you'll be fine. Otherwise, I'd use Bill or Dan's suggestions.

For the ones we installed, we installed like a big paver like Paul suggested. They have been heavy enough that even if someone wanted to steal them, they'd need a tractor or skid steer or something to lift it into a truck.

How would you like some free trade magazines?

Landscaping Appleton, Neenah and Wisconsin's Fox Valley

The Dirt - my blog about running a landscaping business.