Ground Trades Xchange - a landscaping forum

Go Back   Ground Trades Xchange - a landscaping forum > Community > Announcements
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2003, 07:32 PM
Administrator

USDA Zone 4
Stonehenge will become famous soon enough
Here's a pic of the different stone types and sizes we used during the base prep - to the left is 3/4"- Limestone, the center is Limestone screenings, and to the right is a mix of sand, some angular 3/4" and some round 3/4" stone. Called 'Road Base' in some parts of Wisconsin.

A coarse sand bedding course was used with some of the the base prep specs.

This discussion has been included in the site beginner's brick paving page.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stone-sizes.jpg (41.0 KB, 151 views)

Last edited by Stonehenge; 02-24-2006 at 10:49 AM..
Old 07-08-2003, 07:34 PM
Administrator

USDA Zone 4
Here's a pic of the sand used for this installation - a coarse concrete sand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sand-sample.jpg (40.7 KB, 139 views)
Old 07-08-2003, 10:21 PM
GTX Advisor

USDA Zone 6
jwholden is on a distinguished road
Stonehenge,

Which base do you use for your "typical" paver walks?

I like the one in the middle. I get something like that around here (although it is black) and it pack real nice with a 5 HP wacker. I can get stuff like you have to the left cheaper but it's got dirt mixed with the sand and just won't firm up.

I know there is another thread about this but in your "typical" paver installations do you use the 1" of sand on top of your base.

Thanks for the info on the Brown Edger. I have to get to my dealer and see if he can get me a demo (I hope it will be one like yours where I take one and just don't bring it back).

Thanks,

John
Old 07-09-2003, 12:41 PM
Administrator

USDA Zone 4
We use the stone in the middle right now. From the pic you can tell that the largest stone size is 1/4-3/8". We do not use sand. However, part of this test is to see which base prep provides the most durable pavement; whichever one that is, we will use. If that means switching to using a bedding course of coarse sand over 3/4"-, then that's what we'll do.

At first blush I'm skeptical about the stone on the right, just because of the way it behaved when we prepped. That being said, in the north and west parts of Wisconsin, that's what they use, exclusively, for vehicular pavements.
Old 07-09-2003, 04:09 PM
GTX Advisor

USDA Zone 5
Paul is on a distinguished road
The one on the left is close to what we use for base but a bit bigger in large aggregates. Do you have a inspection ticket from the quarry where you picked up the stone?
Old 07-09-2003, 04:47 PM
Administrator

USDA Zone 4
Can't say that I do. I'll have to defer to County Materials for an inspection ticket. Jason - where do you guys get your limestone crusher run from? Can you make a copy of the latest inspection ticket? I'll stop over and pick it up next time I'm in there.

Though you may have to fill me in a bit on inspection tickets, Paul - I know that to meet specific standards that periodic inspections are needed, but I've presumed that the materials are what they say they are.

Do you have a pic of your most recent inspection ticket, so we can see what one looks like?

BTW, I'm getting ASTM info from County Materials on the dif't stone (and the pavers) that we used for this, and will post that when I get it.

Last edited by Stonehenge; 07-09-2003 at 04:50 PM..
Old 07-09-2003, 05:14 PM
Administrator

USDA Zone 4
And actually, I was a bit disappointed - I wanted to be at the outer limits of the specs for stone just before the sand course was laid, +/- 3/8", according to ICPI. However, my guys wanted to do a good job, and they were closer to +/- 1/8". I wanted to see how having a base at the outer limits of the ICPI specs , with total sand thickness variances of 3/4", would perform. Oh, well. We'll have to just stick it out with what we have.
Old 07-09-2003, 05:23 PM
Seedling

USDA
CountyMaterials is an unknown quantity at this point
I have the ASTM info at my desk for the pavers and aggregates. The stuff they sent me for the aggregates is like greek to me. Never seen this form before, maybe it is that inspection ticket you were talking about? Don't know. I am still trying to get it for the sand. Hopefully I will get it tomorrow.
Old 07-09-2003, 08:52 PM
GTX Advisor

USDA Zone 5
An inspection ticket shows that they are "mixing" the right amounts of fines along with larger stuff. I'll find my IDOT book and give you the seive sizes they use.
Old 07-09-2003, 09:53 PM
GTX Advisor

USDA Zone 5
Ok I dug up my "book" and I'll give the sieve sizes in metric and inches.

We use a product called CA-6 as follows:
100% 37.5mm/1.5", 95% +/-5% 25mm/1", 75%+/-15% 12.5mm/1/2", 43%+/- 13% 4.75mm/#4, 25%+/- 15% 1.18mm/#16, 8%+/-4% 75um#200

Sieves shall be square opening. and are subject to testing by the state and approved before construction starts.
Old 07-09-2003, 09:57 PM
Administrator

USDA Zone 4
Thanks for the info. How often has the state come in and physically approved your crushed stone before starting? I can't say as I've heard of that happening too often.
Old 07-09-2003, 10:02 PM
GTX Advisor

USDA Zone 5
Most are tested every 6 months, but on larger quarries that are listed by the state for use on goverment jobs they are tested every month.
Old 07-28-2003, 02:16 AM
Whip

USDA
BJR is an unknown quantity at this point
The 3/4in limestone looks more like what we use in Aus. It is called road base. It also must pass the sieve gradings. There are mainly 2 types, a DGB is is the top quality and the DGS is the cheaper alternative. DGS is only suitable for walkways.

If the base is slightly undulating we like to compact our bedding sand, one pass only, first before we screed. Even though the specs say not to. It gives a better finish. It also stops any uneven sinking of the pavers while walking on them when laying.

The concreting sand looks lovely. I really get excited by the look of a nice sand. Sad, isn't it?

You might like the following content from the Ground Trades Xchange, served by Google: