Thread: Permits
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2003, 06:02 PM
GTX Advisor

USDA Zone 6
jwholden is on a distinguished road
I stopped by the town hall today and went to the Building Department and the Engineering Department.

The building department said there is no need for a permit for patios. They said setbacks do not apply to patios as well, only decks. I got a funny look when I asked the question so I feel ok with them. Sidebar - I spoke with the secretary, not the building inspector, could be a mistake.

When I went to the Engineering department they gave me an even funnier look. Two people there consulted with each other and said the my only concern would be if I was installing a patio within 100' of a watercourse, then I should contact inland/wetlands.

I have covered my bases and am not worried about the town coming after me. However, you never know if a building inspector on the jobsite will think of something the people back at the office didn't. I don't see what more I could do to explain my project without seeming like I'm begging for a permit.
As a father I was always aware that I was raising my sons to leave home, marry, establish families, and be men who could stand on their own two feet. We must fulfill our own destiny. I really wasn't concerned about what they might 'do' but I wanted them to 'be' good men.
- David Epps