View Single Post
Old 03-21-2006, 11:10 AM
Seedling

USDA Zone 5
pineapple is an unknown quantity at this point
how much info to put on the plan

I do residential design for jobs that I am going to install. My clients pay for the design (we use a design contract that spells out what they are getting) separate from the installation contract.

How much info do you put on your plans for paying clients? I want to give them enough, but don't want them to be able to take the plan to another contractor to bid or to d-i-y.

Currently I do a 'Landscape Concept Plan' that shows the layout, hardscape, fencing, plant masses, and labels like 'perennials, evergreen shrubs, flowering shrubs, new walk, deck', etc. No quantities or plant names, no construction notes.

I present the plan to the client with photos of suggested plants and other items. They get 2 copies of the concept plan.

If they want to go ahead with some installation, I then put notes, plant names and quanties on the plan for my use, during estimating and installation. I give them an installation contract without the copy of the updated plan if I can.

I don't want to sound paranoid, but when I spend 20 hours on a design for a large property, I want to make sure I retain control of it.

Any ideas?